Steve Keane's Reviews > Basic Writings of Nietzsche

Basic Writings of Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche

Sep 15, 2007

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 1982

I recommend all of Nietzsche's works, especially the Walter Kaufmann translations. Kaufmann was born in Germany and moved to the U.S. as a young adult so he understood German and American culture from the insider's perspective. He became a philosopher in his own right so he understands Nietzsche from that perspective, as well. He gathered the majority of Nietzsche's writings into 2 volumes, The Portable Nietzsche and The Basic Writings.

Nietzsche is always provocative, especially when you strongly disagree with him, because it is at those key times you are forced to really examine your beliefs and why you hold them. The Basic Writings has the work Beyond Good and Evil, which forced me to examine those concepts in our culture. I found it, and Nietzsche in general, to be very liberating.

Don't start reading him with the usual preconception that he was a harsh and negative writer. The opposite is actually true. A lot of his invective is very funny and is usually interjected into his works to shock you into thinking. The essence of the Socratic method.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Basic Writings of Nietzsche.