Paula Weston's Reviews > Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult

I know this book has divided opinions but I am in awe of Veronica Roth's skill, insight and bravery as a storyteller. The way this complex story about human nature - and what it means to be human (and forgive) - unfolds is nothing short of brilliant.

And breathtaking: it's a tense page-turner the whole way.

I guess knowing there was an ending that divided readers flagged the fact there would be heartbreak. But when those moments came they felt almost inevitable given the emerging themes throughout the series, especially in this final instalment. Of course that made those moments no less heartbreaking, but they had context and meaning, which is all I ask if you're going to break my heart in a novel.

I enjoyed having two narrators this time around: Tris was compelling as always and it was great to get inside Tobias' head - and see their arguments from both sides. They also share some really lovely (and steamy) moments.

I finished Allegiant only a few moments ago and I'm still a bit weepy. Not because I had my heart ripped out, but because the series ends with such a beautiful sense of hope - for the future, for humanity and for characters we care about.

Allegiant is a powerful novel with profound themes. For me, it was a fitting end to a groundbreaking series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiant.

May 25, 2013 – Shelved
May 25, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2013 – Started Reading
December 26, 2013 – Shelved as: dystopian
December 26, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Trisha yes, yes all very fitting *she grumps* but gees... it was hard to read all that sadness.

bwah!

Amanda Great review, Paula. I was surprised by how much this final book moved me :)

Paula Weston Trisha wrote: "yes, yes all very fitting *she grumps* but gees... it was hard to read all that sadness.

bwah!"

I know, but it was entirely realistic for the brokenness of that world...

Paula Weston Mandee wrote: "Great review, Paula. I was surprised by how much this final book moved me :)"

Me too! There are some particularly poignant lines in those final pages about courage and hope.

Carly Bowden I loved the ending too despite how heartbreaking it was.

Paula Weston Carly wrote: "I loved the ending too despite how heartbreaking it was."

I love that Veronica Roth had the courage to follow through with her vision for the story, knowing (as she must have) that it would get a mixed reaction from readers.