Stephanie Christine's Reviews > Her Grace's Stable

Her Grace's Stable by Joely Sue Burkhart

Bronies!!! Come on son! You know you want to read that:)OK, so maybe I’m using that term wrong, but I think it fits:) Two men who are into ponies and I mean "into" ponies. As in they like to dress and act the part of a pony while running for the one woman who can put them both through their paces in the ring. Seriously, someone needs to draw cute anime ponies of Cole and Arthur. Cole would be all cuddly and doe eyed and Arthur would be all smoldering, standoffishness:)
This story is a sequel to Lady Doctor Wyre, and continues Joely Sue Burkhart's amazing world building! You will come away from these books wishing you could walk around in this world and meet these characters. Don't cheat yourself, you should totally read Lady Doctor Wyre first as there are incidents and characters that will mean more to you having read it first.
Lady Violet Blackmyre, the "Black Dutchess" of the Queen's Light Dragoons, has carved herself a rather dark reputation. When she suddenly comes down with consumption she finds she can't make her loyal stable hand and "pony" watch her die. She loves him too much for that so she removes his collar and encourages him to find someone else. Boy, does his:)Joely Sue Burkhart is the one author aside from Joey W. Hill who can write Dominate female characters that are actually so likeable you want to be their friend. I loved Lady Blackmyre even if at times I wanted to shake her:)
Cole is her "pony" and he is adorbs!:)You literally just want to hug the guy through the whole book:) It devastates him when she removes his collar, but he is determined to stay by her side and be her "pony" even while she pushes him to find someone else. When Cole happens upon an illegal human auction he frees a "stallion" there who is being tortured. Yeah I said "stallion":) He's smitten and knows his Mistress will be too so he rescues the man and brings him to Her Grace's Stable.
Arthur is Lady Blackmyre's "stallion" although he doesn't realize it at first:) He is a big man who will not so easily be tamed. He has come to have a hatred for Mistresses and also himself. Character at conflict with self seems to recur a lot in Joely Sue's books and I love it! Arthur hates the needs he has and yet he can't deny them either. He will need Lady Blackmyre's strong hand and whip to help him accept himself and her and Cole.
Everything about this book is wonderful! I know some people will see the term "pony-play" and be all "What the what?" but give it a chance. She handles it extremely well and uses it to grow the characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Grace's Stable.

Started Reading
April 15, 2013 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Love the Bronies comment. :)