Sarah's Reviews > Monsters

Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick

bookshelves: read-2013, r2r-complete

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and Edelweiss.)
This is book 3 in the ‘Ashes’ series, and picks up where book 2 ‘Shadows’ left off.
**Warning – some unavoidable spoilers for books 1 and 2 ‘Ashes’, and ‘Shadows’.**

Alex is stuck in the mine which has just exploded; time is running out if she wants to survive.
Tom blames himself for Alex’s death, and vows to kill Chris if he ever meets him.
Chris is pinned beneath an iron spiked tiger trap and death is imminent.
Peter is Finn’s prisoner and is faced with a choice to eat human flesh or die.
Will the monster in Alex’s head finally kill her or will she drown in the mine? Will Tom kill Chris, or will he already be dead from the Tiger trap? What has happened to Lena? And will these kids ever meet up again?

This book was pure action right from the start. A riveting, adrenalin fuelled, crazy journey from start to finish.

Let’s start by saying that this book itself is a monster, at over 800 pages it took me hours to get through, but thankfully it was hours well spent!

This book started out right where book 2 left off, and was literally life-or-death moment, after life-or-death moment, after life-or-death moment. The story alternated between Alex, Chris, Tom, Ellie, and Peter, so we were really living several stories, and each had their own problems in the chuckie-infested cesspit that was this dystopian America. Every time one disaster was averted, another was upon us, and this was one hell of a crazy ride!

I did feel that this high-adrenalin stuff petered out towards the middle of the book, but we were still left following the different characters, and hoping that somehow they would find their way back to each other. The body count kept on piling up, and things looked bleaker and bleaker, and yet more problems arose.
Funnily enough I wasn’t expecting the paranormal storyline that arose in this book, as it seemed that someone had developed the ability to telepathically control some of the chuckies, which did seem a little out-of-place, but thankfully the high-octane stuff made up for this.

The ending of this story was fitting, and I liked how although not everything was wrapped up and tied with a bow, we were given hope that things would work out okay.
I do think that this has been an amazing trilogy, and a wonderful dystopian/zombie story, and I will definitely be reading this author’s next book!
Overall; an adrenalin filled finale to this amazing dystopian trilogy.
8.75 out of 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters.

May 24, 2013 – Shelved
August 16, 2013 – Started Reading
August 17, 2013 –
August 17, 2013 –
10.0% "eating a human foot? gross."
August 18, 2013 –
20.0% "This is so good!"
August 19, 2013 –
August 19, 2013 –
29.0% "Oh yuck! Ants for dinner!"
August 20, 2013 –
34.0% "2 more bite the dust."
August 20, 2013 –
39.0% "Peter has seriously lost it."
August 21, 2013 –
47.0% "Why lie to her?"
August 21, 2013 –
August 22, 2013 –
71.0% "the body count keeps on piling up!"
August 22, 2013 –
85.0% "am i the only one who thought that RPG was a 'role playing game'?"
August 23, 2013 –
97.0% "nearly finished!"
August 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Tessa 5 stars, really? Will anything good ever happen in this book? I'm starting to lose hope. :(

Sarah It's more like 4.35 stars, I was being generous and rounding up. did you like the first two books?

Tessa Yes, but those 2 gave me hope, this one seems to be killing one character after the other. Not a lot of hope left... :(