Selwa's Reviews > Man in the Empty Suit

Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell

it was ok

The idea of a time traveler who celebrates his birthday with all the other versions of himself from ages 18 to 70 sounds really intriguing, and is the primary reason I decided to read this book (the secondary reason is because I liked the cover haha). I told my brother about it and he thought it would make a great movie, but, aside from the visual of one guy at different ages all in one room, what makes that a good story? I don't know, and I don't think the author knew, either.

There was a romantic subplot, which is weird because the chick was so weird and so secretive. I mean, if I was interested in a guy and he wouldn't tell me his name, I'd call that a deal breaker. Maybe my standards are too high?

The other subplot is a murder mystery, and that was also weird. On a related note, I don't think I like time travel stories too much. It was too confusing to keep track of all the different versions of the narrator (who isn't named, not that it matters, since there are so many of him), especially when there's a chuck of story in the middle that didn't involve the others. When we returned to the crew (given nicknames like Yellow, Screwdriver, and Seventy), I couldn't remember who was who, or, more specifically, what each character was like. Yellow was called that because of his sweater, but was he the asshole or the sympathetic one? All I remember is that he didn't carry a screwdriver and he wasn't 70 years old.

Did I hate Man in the Empty Suit? No, but only because I didn't feel strongly enough about it to feel anything at all. I finished it for resolution, and because I didn't dislike it enough to stop. Besides, I borrowed the ebook twice and renewed the tangible book twice, which did not bode well in retrospect but at the time strengthened my resolve to put an end to the madness lol. Not a complete waste of time, but I wish I'd read it faster so I could move on to something more enjoyable. Now, I'm off to find that thing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man in the Empty Suit.

May 23, 2013 – Shelved
May 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 23, 2017 – Started Reading
May 24, 2017 –
page 119
May 30, 2017 –
page 165
53.92% "The issue I'm having is that when I put the book down, I'm not that eager to later pick it back up. When I *do* pick it up, though, I work my way through. I hope it's not a colossal waste of time!"
June 2, 2017 – Finished Reading