Lindsay Mead's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

May 23, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2013

This is a review of the audiobook. I can say with 100% certainty that if I had read a written version of this I would NOT have finished it. The only reason I finished the audio version is because I was listening to it with my dad. Though, even he said at one point that he didn't care if we even finished it. At that point we'd come far enough in the book, that I decided to see it through. My brother read a written version at the same time as we started the audio and he didn't finish it. I cannot fathom why this book is so popular. As a story, it lacked. There was no building climax and the constant change in characters prevented me from ever caring about any of them. Not only that but each new character came with it's own set of cultural history. You had to get through 5 minutes of dull info dumping before the story continues-- not that the story ever really goes anywhere.

If you are going to read this book, I suggest the audio version. It is abridged, which means that the book has twice as much info dumping as the audio. Unless you like history lessons, I don't suggest you go the written route. The biggest plus about the audio is the voice actors. I recognized several from TV and movies, such as Alan Alda from M.A.S.H. Accord to an L.A. Times article "now an expanded version of the book on audio has added another high-brow performer: Oscar-winner Martin Scorsese." So the casting is great. If only the story didn't suck so hard. This is one of those books that I will forget in time. There was no connection and nothing gained from it.

Only the story of one character in the entire book will likely stick with me. She's a helicopter pilot who cashes in swampland. Great voice actor and her story puts you in the moment. Your heart pounds with the want for her to survive. Sadly, her story was a very small portion of the book. I talk about this book and others on my YouTube channel, here: http://bit.ly/RN2j5n
My Spoilery Thoughts: There's nothing in this book that I really feel like talking about in depth.

Don't Recommended

Magic: No
Drugs: No

Star Categories
Romance: No romance
Action: .5 Stars *It only gets that because of 2 stories with action in them.
Pacing: 1 Stars
Writing: 2 Stars *The author did his research, but he's not a story teller. Only the voice actors made this bearable.
Plot: 1 Stars *Basic Zombie Apocalypse. Nothing more.
Overall: 2 Stars

Protagonist Meter
Damsel----------Badass
Too many characters for this to apply.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

May 23, 2013 – Started Reading
May 23, 2013 – Shelved
May 23, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
May 23, 2013 –
17.0% "Dad and I started listening to the audio of this today. Like it a lot."
May 30, 2013 –
17.0% "Accidentally skipped disks 2 & 3 and listened to a good portion of disk 4. Honestly, we didn't even notice."
June 19, 2013 –
75.0% "On 4 out of 5 discs. It's hard to form an opinion on this cuz it's not really a story is it?"
July 11, 2013 – Finished Reading