Kimberly's Reviews > How to Marry a Highlander

How to Marry a Highlander by Katharine Ashe

bookshelves: historical, romance, review, read-2013

My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

Miss Teresa Finch-Freeworth has no desire to wed the suffocatingly pompous local curate. Unfortunately for her, Teresa’s father has all but promised her to the man! What’s a girl to do? Why, hie herself off to London and propose to the handsome earl of her dreams, of course. Only Duncan Eads isn’t as eager to wed Teresa as she is him — in fact, he’s a widower with no desire to ever get married again. Still, Duncan has seven sisters he needs to marry off and no dowry to give any of them, which leads Teresa to strike a bargain with him. If she can find husbands for all seven sisters in one month, then Duncan will marry her. The wager itself may sound calculating, but the longer Duncan and Teresa are around one another, the more intimate their game becomes. And when love enters the mix, both of them have to wonder who will give in first.

How to Marry a Highlander is bright, bubbly, and a whole lot of fun. Katharine Ashe sweeps readers off their feet with a tale of one determined woman who’s not afraid to risk her heart on the chance of finding happiness with the man of her dreams. I loved the vivaciousness of How to Marry a Highlander. The story simply brims with energy as Teresa takes charge of Duncan’s sisters and sets out to find them their own happily ever afters even as she fights for a fairytale ending of her own with their stubborn brother. The romance between Teresa and Duncan was lovely, though part of me felt like the resolution was a bit rushed.

While I liked Teresa and Duncan, I was charmed as all get-out by Duncan’s sisters, some of whom reminded me of Jane Austen’s Bennet sisters. It’s no spoiler to say that most of the Eads women find love, but I almost wish one particular couple — Una and Teresa’s brother Toby — had gotten a separate story, only because I loved them so much that I could read about them for ages.

How to Marry a Highlander is loosely related to Ms. Ashe’s Falcon Club series. Eagle-eyed readers will remember the moment Teresa first saw Duncan, which was in How a Lady Weds a Rogue. Fans of the series will surely enjoy not only the references to that story, but the brief appearances of How a Lady Weds a Rogue protagonists Diantha and Wyn. That being said, you don’t have to have read any of the Falcon Club novels in order to enjoy How to Marry a Highlander. Still, I hope the Eads family reappears in the series because I absolutely adored all eight siblings and the men and woman who love them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Marry a Highlander.

May 22, 2013 – Shelved