Lauren's Reviews > Written in the Stars

Written in the Stars by Jennifer Martinez

11991148

I had to wait a few days to write up my review for this book. It hit a little close to home for me and I needed time to process. That's the beauty about a good book though - you can relate to the characters. I don't mean that you get butterflies in your stomach as they are falling in love. But you definitely feel it in your gut.

I have to say that while I was already a fan of Jennifer's work, she reached my soul with this one. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about it. She wrote the first bits of the story leaving out the small details that makes you love the characters' relationships and root for them. Once you get to a certain point it makes perfect sense, though. You get little snippets of Mack's previous relationships before getting to the one that counts. And from a personal perspective, I'm actually a bit relieved that we didn't have to live out the gory details of Mack and Steve's relationship.

I think that some people may feel like the book was a bit rushed, but I think it was actually how it should be. There was no need to get into every little detail of the previous relationships, and once you get to the good part it slows down a bit and you really get to know Mack for who she grew to be after all of her frogs; you get to experience Coll pulling her out of the rabbit's hole.

All in all, I loved it. It reminds you that the world isn't full of heartless people. It teaches women that we are strong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written in the Stars.

Started Reading