Kit Brennan's Reviews > Cinnamon Toast and the End of the World

Cinnamon Toast and the End of the World by Janet E. Cameron

May 22, 2013

In this thoroughly enjoyable read, Janet E. Cameron captures the time and place of small town Canada through the eyes of her hero, Stephen Shulevitz. The story transported me back to my own adolescence, growing up and attending high school in a small community. Cameron writes so well about that once-in-a-lifetime angst of being a teenager on the cusp of big changes. I loved the characterizations and the relationships that are formed in the novel - Stephen and Mark, Stephen and Lana - and the way the world begins to shape and affect them, as new emotions are explored and discoveries are made about love and sexuality. There is a first-rate combination of drama mixed with Cameron’s sparkling sense of humour. The use of the first person narrative – our view of the world through Stephen’s eyes – gives a beautiful and truthful window into the risky transition towards individuality. Some survive, some don’t. Thankfully, Stephen does.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinnamon Toast and the End of the World.

Finished Reading