K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > I Am Legend

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

liked it

This 1954 science fiction/horror novel has already been made into 3 movies: The Last Man on Earth (1964), The Omega Man (1971) and I am Legend starring Will Smith (2007). I saw the last two prior to reading this book so I had an easy time following the storyline. This book is said to have influenced the development of vampire and zombie genre particularly the hypothesis that vampirism is to a disease. Incidentally, this idea will not fly for Edward (Twilight). Girls will not like the idea that their good-looking Edward has bacillus vampirus in his blood and Bella will not get infected by a bite but by Edward's airborne spores? So, Stephanie Mayer will have to stick to the old-fashion bite, the original idea concocted by no less than Bram Stoker in 1897.

The storytelling of I AM LEGEND is crisp and calm that provides an interesting twist to the horror and danger that the main protagonist Robert Neville was experiencing. Being the last man on earth, he cried when the wayward ugly dog died. He fell in love thinking that the woman who was found to be a spy of the undead was like himself. Since he has the power to stay in sunlight at daytime, he killed most of the vampires who roamed his place during nighttime. Those that were able to survive developed fear for him and in the end, being the last human being left, he became a legend. Thus the title.

In my edition of this book, there are also 10 short stories included. I particularly liked THE NEAR DEPARTED (short but effective) and DANCE OF THE DEAD (because of the flashes of scenes with the mother reminding the daughter not to have a drink when out with friends). At times, I even felt scarier reading these short stories more than following the travails of Robert Neville of the main story.

This is my first book for this year's Halloween. I still have 2 more for this week to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Legend.

July 5, 2009 – Shelved
October 23, 2009 –
page 120
Started Reading
October 24, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly I had this in comic book form but lost the book [hardbound, with drawings like comics:]. Yan ba yung copy ko? I had suspicion my copy was stolen by a messenger who came to my house.

K.D. Absolutely This is not in comic form and I bought my copy from NBS. This was made into a movie twice. The last one was starring Will Smith who is in the cover of this edition. The first movie was in the 60's and the title was The Omega Man. I saw both movies. So, I was not the one who stole your copy.

message 3: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Kuya Doni, do you still have the copy of this book with you? Can I borrow it at the coming 2nd Meet up? I was intrigued by the short stories included in this book. I haven't read any short stories yet from Matheson and try as I can, can't find a copy of any of his story collection at Booksale.

Thanks Kuya Doni! ^_^

message 4: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Know what, I noticed that we read this book at the same time in October 2009. Coincidence? Well, so much for your Halloween book reading eh? Ehehehe... :D

K.D. Absolutely Yes, I will bring this book for you on Saturday. Maybe you are the younger brother that I never had. ha ha ha. Di naman tayo magkamukha. LOL.

message 6: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Thanks you Kuya Doni.

That's why I'm suggesting that you adopt me na.
Ahahaha!

I think we are "long lost brothers in literature."

God bless! ^_^

K.D. Absolutely Yeah, feels like I am George and you are Lennie! LOL

message 8: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Kuya Doni, something bugs me with that comparison.
You know what Lennie did to George.
Let's left it at that that we're long lost brothers in literature.

Ahahaha! :D

K.D. Absolutely Good memory! I intentionally did not include Milton and Small (their surnames) so I was hoping that you will ask who are they. Ha ha. Dapat ako nga si Lennie because I am bigger than you and I used to have a rabbit as a pet. And you are smarter than me (because you know more about the classic literature). I am beginning to really feel that we are brothers. They do not adopt each others, right? They just fight and piss each other off. Ha ha

message 10: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos K.D. wrote: "And you are smarter than me (because you know more about the classic literature). I am beginning to really feel that we are brothers. They do not adopt each others, right? They just fight and piss each other off. Ha ha "

I think I know a fair enough classic literature and I just read a handful of them. So that doesn't make me smarter than you. You're the one who've finished 284 books and compare to you, mine's measly.

I'm a peace loving person and avoid conflicts as much as I can (time conflicts are the only ones to whom I managed live with. Ahahaha!) So no chance of us fighting and pissing each other there. ^_^

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Yay, you are not the only younger brother that I never had. You are even the angelic brother (older or younger) that I will never have! Peace, Kuya Attorney Joselito. Ha ha

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Bagay nga kayong dalawa. Jzhunagev, K.D. is also peace-loving like you. He is the youngest in the family of 4 children, I'm the eldest. I was breastfed, but when our mother gave birth to K.D., she had no more milk. He was given a PACIFIER instead. So it was breasts for me, pacifier for K.D. That's why when we grew up, I SUCK, K.D. PACIFIES.

message 13: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Joselito wrote: "Bagay nga kayong dalawa. Jzhunagev, K.D. is also peace-loving like you. He is the youngest in the family of 4 children, I'm the eldest. I was breastfed, but when our mother gave birth to K.D., she ..."

Ahahaha!

That's really funny Atty. Joselito. And perhaps a fitting way that decribes the both of you. LOL! :D

Ayan Kuya Doni nagselos tuloy si Atty. Joselito.

message 14: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely My kuya gave me two M&S shirts yesterday as birthday gifts. If that is not sign enough that he loves me I don't know how else a brother can show his love to the one.

But that seems to be true, when I was an baby I remember that there was no milk for me anymore and I cried and cried a lot while looking at my mother's nipples!

message 15: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Ahhh... that's so touching Kuya Doni.

Well then, Atty Joselito is still the BEST kuya I suppose.

Ehehehe! :D

message 16: by KaiPea (new)

KaiPea I never really got to watch the movie...My mom says it's pretty frustrating. She states the guy works out ALL NIGHT. He got all this muscles, abs and strength and yet one fall made him cripple.

message 17: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi I remember my best friend rambling about how good the movie is, I never get the chance to watch it but knowing that the dog died in the movie I will probably cry because I hate it when dogs died in movie just saying

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly the guy even ate the dog for lack of protein-rich available food.

message 19: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi eeww really like azucena?

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly that scene was breathtaking. He was weeping while he was butchering his dog. Hugging its severed head like the Pieta.

message 21: by Joyzi (new) - added it