Jennifer's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

bookshelves: classics

Anyone who reads vampire novels and loves vampires should read Dracula just so one knows the original. Stoker introduces the vampire Count Dracula to the world. He makes Transylvania an eerie, gothic place where people dream of visiting, yet are afraid of what they might encounter.

In Stoker's novel, Dracula makes a move from Transylvania to England, and he is battled by a group of chivalrous men (and Mina Harker), led by Abraham Van Helsing. Stoker creates images and settings that are both lovely and creepy, depending on the location and the ambiance needed. The language of the novel is true to the late nineteenth century Britain, and the characters are well formed and easily identifiable from each other.

My one complaint is that the characters have a tendency to monologue for pages and pages and pages, and at times, I wanted to say, "Enough already! I get the point Van Helsing!" There were also a few occasions when I felt the story included extraneous entries and happenings. Overall, I would recommend this book to everyone. Some classics should be read by the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

May 22, 2013 – Started Reading