Liberty Abbott-Sylvester's Reviews > Fall on Your Knees

did not like it
Recommended to Liberty by: Novel Ladies 5 Star Nomination
Recommended for: no one
Read in July, 2009 , read count: 1

OMG, I hated this book. It was painful to read. I spent a good 3 hours trying to read this book and ended up skimming the rest of it so I could be done with it.
MacDonald covers just about every topic in her book: racial tension, isolation, domestic abuse, and forbidden love, which leads to incest, death, and even murder, but does it in a very complicated way that will turn many readers away.
I consider myself a strong reader-one who has fantastic reading comprehension but this book tests even the strongest of readers. I felt that I had to read for days in order to get the jest of what she wrote about 30-50 pages back. It was ridiculous.
I consider myself pretty open to reading just about anything but this one just was too much....
I think I'll stick to my VC Andrews for my abuse and incest stories. She does them so much better than MacDonald did...and that's not saying much is it?
I'll give it 1 star but to be honest I wish Zero stars was an option...maybe even negative ones. I will not be reading anymore of her books.

updated shelves June 2011: zero stars due to skimming and not fully reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall on Your Knees.

07/13/2009 page 160
03/23/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Amanda J Our ratings are 91% similar so it is so funny that we came away from this book feeling completely different from one another! I gave it 5 stars.

Janski I sort of agree with you Liberty - I found this book strangely boring despite its rather trendy sensational topics. Yet, I very much enjoyed "The Way the Crow Flies", a fiction based rather obviously on the Stephen Truscott story.

Rebecca Anderson I struggled through the middle part of this book but felt adequately rewarded towards the end. It is not a book that will stay with me, certainly.

Jennifer Murtell I cannot imagine feeling more differently about this book. It's like we didn't read the same thing. :) I'd give it a second try, if I were you - I was weeping and laughing out loud on the subway, and didn't care who noticed.

Barbara Bagatin Dear Liberty, today, I have an orrible day, but your: "It was painful to read" made me laughing a lot! Infact, I'm still laughing. I read this novel in 2011, and always thought I didn't understand it, because I hadn't enough time to read it: I had to stop and then start it again. You know, that's not the best way to reading. Perhaps, I didn't finish it easily not only because I hadn' t enough time, because it didn't like me. Thes story was interesting, but not much the characters. For me. Because I know a lot of people love it. PS: sorry for my English, I' m Italian:)

``Laurie Degenerate is the first word that comes to my mind describing this dreadful book.

Leigh I LOVED this book. I've made my living as a writer for 30 years and though the writing was some of the best I've ever read. So good, that I bought 5 copies of it and gave it to all my friends. To each her own, eh?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book when i was about 15 and loved it. Didnt find it difficult to read at all..

Becky Silver I first read this book in highschool, and since then have picked it up every year or two. It's the only book I've read more than once and I learn something new about the characters every time. In total, I've probably read this book 15 times and I love it every time I read it.

message 10: by Juli (new)

Juli Yoo One of my worst reads...it's scattered and waste of time..worst author.