Erin (PT)'s Reviews > Indexing

Indexing by Seanan McGuire

bookshelves: alternate-universe, cops-military, serial-fiction, urban-fantasy-horror

As a serial, I adored Indexing, though I am kind of curious as to how it will hold up as a single story when I go back and, inevitably, reread it. In my initial read, the first several chapters were a little bogged by McGuire re-introducing the characters in every chapter and, though I knew where I was in the story because I knew there were twelve parts to the story, I'm not sure that—by story alone—I would've known as clearly that, okay, this is the middle of the book, okay, now we're starting to wind up for the end.

And I definitely wish that McGuire had and had been able to spend a little more time on the denouement and aftermath. Not a lot more time, and what's there is satisfying, but just a little more time, a little more explanation, a little more embellishment. Though…I do feel that's a 'problem' that's endemic to McGuire's work in general and not specifically because Indexing is a serial. McGuire is great and she's quickly become a favorite author, but she's also a very functional and straightforward writer and so I feel like sometimes her work is very close to the bone and could use just a touch more padding and muscle. But really, those are the only bad things I have to say and everything else is playing in a field of flowers and candy.

I love the stories-within-stories-within-stories motif and how that reflects in the microcosm of Henry and Sloane, in particular, trying to choose what story they'll be/become and what role they'll inhabit in that story, and in a bigger, more meta sense, how that reflect the struggle of ALL people, especially women, to figure that out for themselves, against the external pressure of calcified story-stereotypes of gender roles and societal expectations. I adore the repeating themes of choice and consequence in McGuire's work and how it figures into and changes the story here. I love the way she digs down into the idea and structure of fairy tales and shows the darkness and blood that lies in the heart of all of them. And, for all that Indexing is about fairy tales and the resolution comes down to, in some sense, a fairy tale solution, I really adored that it's ultimately about the love, respect and friendship between Henry and Sloane, two very different (smart, competent, capable) women who are structured to be pitted against each other and yet find a way to make that work.

Excellent book, highly recommended. PLEASE, AMAZON, GIVE HER A SERIES 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indexing.

May 21, 2013 – Started Reading
May 21, 2013 – Shelved
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: alternate-universe
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: cops-military
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: serial-fiction
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy-horror
June 22, 2013 –
25.0% "Amazon says this is has an estimated 12 eps, so 3/12."
July 4, 2013 –
33.0% "4 of 12 eps. The 2 week wait for each chapter is killing me."
July 30, 2013 –
50.0% "6/12 eps. Argh. Want more, faster."
August 14, 2013 –
58.0% "7/12 episodes. With each one, I think, "This is my FAVORITE chapter!""
August 27, 2013 –
67.0% "With each update, it gets more excruciating to hit chapter end. Damn you, Seanan McGuire!"
September 10, 2013 –
75.0% "9/12, I think? AUGH, this is agony! Delicious agony!"
September 24, 2013 –
83.0% "10/12. I can see the end on the horizon and I'M NOT READY."
October 8, 2013 –
92.0% "Holy crap, that did not go like I was expecting AT ALL. Man, I really NEED Amazon to give her a S2!"
October 22, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li The serial was a US-only thing, so I've been enviously eyeing everyone's status updates - I'm really looking forward to reading the ebook now!

Erin (PT) Yeah, I have some other non-US friends who mentioned that to me (I hadn't known before they brought it up) and I don't really understand why it's that way, but I am glad they do make it more available once the story is finished, at least, because I do think it's well worth reading. Hope you enjoy it, too!