Bradley's Reviews > The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

bookshelves: horror, 2016-shelf

I have to say that re-reading this as an adult is a much different and more wonderful experience than as a snot-nosed kid of 15. I was able to appreciate the nuances much more, enjoying just how established Mr. Crane could be as a realistic and sympathetic character, even if he was slightly foolish.

In other words, he felt real, I felt invested, and as any lover of horror knows, we must also feel superior to our victims before their inevitable and somewhat moralistic demise by supernatural or nefarious deeds.

Now, whether this was a mortal practical joke played on a lover of the fantastic and the horrible or whether this was actually a real-life ghost story, as the Dutch Wives would insist, is a matter for debate.

Either way, it was nice and ghoulish and ramped up perfectly to a thrown screaming head. :)

Quick tale, fascinating, and expertly described. :) And an eternal Halloween Treat. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

May 21, 2013 – Shelved
October 17, 2016 – Started Reading
October 17, 2016 – Shelved as: horror
October 17, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-shelf

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish I will NOT like this review. Out of protest. There. That's what you get for abandoning your buddy (and bringing forth outrageously lame excuses)!
*crosses arms*
I will, however, say that I've seen the movie when I was about 14/15 years old and it scared the living hell out of me. Then I watched it a few years ago and laughed my butt off and cannot, for the life of me, understand what was creeping me out so much. Maybe it was the combination of my first slumber party with the pranks the other girls pulled. I don't know. But I still like the setting of the movie (the creepy foggy woods especially).

So I'm looking forward to reading this - even though I now have to do it alone!

message 2: by Kian.R (new)

Kian.R

Bradley It was NOT a lame excuse. It happened to only be an hour and twenty three min long. That's *nothing* at all. That's a fart in the wind. One swimming session, at NORMAL speed!

Veronique lol... I really liked it too

Bradley It's fun to revisit the classics now that we're old enough to enjoy the subtleties. :)

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish Brad wrote: "It was NOT a lame excuse. It happened to only be an hour and twenty three min long. That's *nothing* at all. That's a fart in the wind. One swimming session, at NORMAL speed!"

So you're saying you're always disregarding your buddy-reader if the books are thin?!

Bradley *sigh* No. This was a special case. ; ; I blame it on Sleepy Hollow, itself.

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish And now he's audacious owards a classic. *sighs* You're only digging your grave deeper.

Bradley A ghost story made me do it?

Hey, it worked for satanism and other worshippers of D&D corruption, so why not a classic ghost story?

message 10: by Trish (new)

Trish Because I'm not stupid enough to believe your excuses. It is never about what supposedly made you but about whether or not your audience believes you.

message 11: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic I loved the movie, wondering if I should read the book, too.
Igor

Bradley The movie and the book have a certain resemblance to each other.... :)