Lori's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

20569708

bookshelves: favourites, stories-to-iron-too-aka-audio

I read - a lot. To me reading is just as important as eating, so I get through quite a few books. Every now and then though a book comes a long that I truly cannot put down and The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch was definitely one of those books.

The characters, to me, lead this book; the setting is fantastic, the descriptions beautiful, the story-lines fabulous, but it is the characters I couldn't let go. The main character Locke is a thief - an extraordinarily talented thief, but a thief nonetheless. Not really your typical protagonist, more usually seen perhaps in the role of the villain (or anti-hero, I suppose), yet you want him to succeed - even when this means stealing from the ordinary everyday folk (okay, the maybe a bit richer than average folk, but plenty of 'normal' people fall foul of him too).

As well as Locke we have the other Gentleman Bastards, all super characters in their own rights. I loved them all. Though I do have do admit a bit of a penchant (okay a lot of a penchant, am I the only person who has huge crushes on book characters?) for Jean Tannen. Jean is Locke's best friend - and more often than not saviour - and together they earn what isn't rightfully theirs while trying to keep to their own moral compass. Okay so they thieve - this doesn't mean they are all out bad guys, far from it.

I really don't want to include any spoilers but I would HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone. Now all I've got to do is wait for the next instalment. Damn these fantasy authors and their worlds I can't live without.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Quotes Lori Liked

Scott Lynch
“Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”

Scott Lynch
“There are only three people in life you can never fool--pawnbrokers, whores, and your mother. Since your mother's dead, I've taken her place. Hence, I'm bullshit-proof.”

Scott Lynch
“My name's Jean Tannen, and I'm the ambush.”

Scott Lynch
“I cut off his fingers to get him to talk, and when he'd confessed everything I wanted to hear, I had his fucking tongue cut out, and the stump cauterized."

Everyone in the room stared at him.

"I called him an asshole, too," said Locke. "He didn't like that.”

Scott Lynch
“I don't have to beat you. I don't have to beat you, motherfucker. I just have to keep you here... until Jean shows up.”

Scott Lynch
“So that makes us robbers of robbers," said Bug, "who pretend to be robbers working for a robber of other robbers.”

Finished Reading
May 21, 2013 – Shelved
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: favourites
April 26, 2015 – Shelved as: stories-to-iron-too-aka-audio

Lori My review needs reviewing. I think this was my first ever GR review. Still one of the best books ever though.

message 2: by Anyta (new)

Anyta Sunday Does it have any romance in it?