C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2015, young-adult

This book is so entirely STUFFED with sarcasm. I feel connected on a spiritual level. I do. It's like this book is mine. I am Caymen. Minus, you know, the creepy doll shop and the freakishly sweet boyfriend. BUT I GOT THE SARCASM DOWN PAT. Go me. Anyway. We really need to talk about this book. For starters: I loved it. I don't even usually like fluffy contemporaries, but I loved this one a lot. It really ought to be 5-stars, I KNOW it does...but that ending? It was disappointing on so so many levels. SO I'M GONNA WRITE A LIST. The good, the bad, and the ugly. But all you really need to know is: you need this sarcastically adorable book in your life ASAP.

STUFF I FREAKING LOVED TO PIECES. JUST GIVE ME ROOM. I NEED TO FLAIL:
I'm an estastic flailer too, by the way.

+ Sarcasm. I read about a lot of irritatingly sarcastic teens, but this is DIFFERENT. For starters, it's the best strain of sarcasm. It's very self-deprecating or based on surroundings. Caymen doesn't take the mickey out of anyone. She doesn't act "woe is me". She just says the opposite to everything and is 1000% endearing because of it. She's so quick! And the humour is written wonderfully. The author doesn't pause to "explain" when Caymen's being sarcastic...and believe me, I read a TON of books where the author feels the need to explain. Drives. me. bonkers. So this?! THIS IS JUST PERFECT. I laughed out loud so so much.
“Note to self: Caymen is very good at sarcasm.”
“If you’re recording notes for an official record, I’d like the word ‘very’ stricken and replaced with ‘exceptionally.”

+ Caymen and Xander are just adorably shippable. They are literally PERFECT for each other. He's sweet, she's snarky. Like what more could I possibly want?!
+ Also: such epic character development. It's definitely a slow-burn romance. They become friends first, which is what I love to read. And they change and grow throughout the story. HUZZAH.
+ The writing is just excellent. It's vivid, but not drowningly so. It adds in plenty of details, there's delicious food, and plenty of settings. And it deals with the themes of "what should I do with my life" which is HUGE when you're facing the end of highschool. (I totally related to Caymen's feelings, and retable books are THE BEST.) I got all the feels and all the fuzzies and I totally didn't want to put this book down.

okay...so now for the not so hot stuff. And seriously this is just like 99% to do with the last few chapters of the book! Which really bugs me because I was going to rate this 5-stars and then....well...let me explain.

STUFF THAT BROKE MY HEART BECAUSE IT JUST DIDN'T WORK FOR ME AT ALL:
No, I'm not dramatic. Shush and read.

+ The ending wraps up like the neatest birthday present in the world. No, and no. I'm not an "unhappy ending" lover, but I do like a shred of realism. This book is SO VERY UNREALISTIC at the end that it kind of spoiled the realistic and adorable romance. The book seems to bypass anything and everything awkward a to arrive at a cosy snuggle. Huh. I feel absolutely cheated. For instance, (view spoiler)
+ The ending was really rushed too. After so much build up and intrigue and questions, I just felt like I got EVERYTHING dumped on me in a few pages. It was rush rush rush and that startled me and left a sour taste in my mouth. COME ON. I wanted blueberry muffins and hot chocolate, yes, but I wanted to chew not gulp.
+ While I felt the book had a lot of "follow your dreams" themes in it...I think it kind of faceplanted towards the end. This bit is basically a spoiler, so (view spoiler)

Don't get me wrong: I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. I surprise myself, since I'm so twitchy toward contemporaries. There were definitely a bunch of things that spoiled the ending...buuuut...I still have infinite love for it from the first 90%. I ship Xander and Caymen quite furiously. This was also my first Kasie West book...AND I WANT MORE ASAP.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distance Between Us.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Kasie West
“A lot of people don’t get my humor. My mom calls it dry humor. I think that means “not funny,” but it also means I’m the only one who ever knows it’s a joke.”
Kasie West, The Distance Between Us

May 21, 2013 – Shelved
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2015 – Started Reading
May 18, 2015 –
page 115
36.86% "Sarcasm? Caymen speaks my language."
May 19, 2015 –
page 223
71.47% "*ships aggressively*"
May 19, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 19, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
May 19, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 19, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Lucy Buller OH MY GOODNESS I'M SO HAPPY YOU LOVED IT. SARCASM FOREVER.

C.G. Drews IT IS COMPLETELY GLORIOUS.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Sarcastic?? That's me in a word. I am getting this book. No debate.

helen❣️ THIS IS MY ACTUAL FAVORITE KASIE WEST BOOK. Caymen is my spirit animal! I didn't LOVE the ending, since it was tied up in an exceptionally unrealistically perfect bow, but it's a contemporary - what did you expect? (ok I wasn't expecting the perfection but I should've??) <3

C.G. Drews @Helen: The sarcasm was SO ENTIRELY PERFECT ahhhhhh I have such fond memories of this book. :')

message 6: by ammaarah (new) - added it

ammaarah This book has been on my TBR for ages! Sarcasm is books is the AWESOMEST thing ever... I'm a sarcastic human being 99% of the time so books with sarcastic narrators are so relatable. I'm so glad that you like this book and I can't wait to read it!

KColton I completely agree with how she rushed the ending and wasn't realistic. I would have read another 100 pages!!! Why did she just end it like that?

dezzy I completely agree with this review! I absolutely loved this book, and Caymen and Xander. <3 I thought the ending was rushed, too, I would've gladly read another 100 pages like the previous commenter said. But anyways, I love your reviews! They're always so amusing, relatable, and simply amazing. ^~^