Jen's Reviews > All Night Long

All Night Long by Jayne Ann Krentz

Finally reviewed after my "seventh" (see notes below) reading, June 23, 2017.
5 stars - outstanding/amazing

I love this book. Irene is a wonderful protagonist and Luke is fabulous, too. I really love them together.

I was sort of nervous about reading this story, considering that yesterday I read JAK's latest release - The Girl Who Knew Too Much, written as Amanda Quick - and was underwhelmed. I worried that maybe I wasn't in the right mood to appreciate my favorite author's writing, and that that was why I failed to fall in love with The Girl Who Knew Too Much. Instead, it seems that my complaints - in my review - were right and true, especially seeing as how I read and LOVED this book. From the first page through to the last, I was sucked in and loved every word. :-)

So, back to my love for this story. . . When Irene was 15, her parents were murdered. She never believed that her father killed her mother and then himself. And now, 17 years later, the secrets surrounding her parents' deaths are starting to unravel. :-)

Unfortunately, I have read this book so many times that I know who the killer is. And I can't now remember if the twist in the end ever took me by surprise. But I imagine it did. I probably figured out who it was just as Irene and Luke did.

Also, about my having read this book "so many times," I decided that six readings in the past "seemed like a good number." But I don't rightly know how many times I have read this story. Probably at least seven, possibly as many as twelve. ;-)

(That last paragraph was written after my "seventh" reading on June 23, 2017.)

I mentioned laughter, and tears, somewhere? Up above, I think, and in one of my status updates. Please allow me to share a few scenes. . .

First, Chapter One, pages 6-18, is just delightful. This is the chapter where we first see Irene and Luke together. I sort of smile-snickered at a number of lines in this first chapter. :-)

Then in Chapter Eight, pages 65-69, every time Jason Danner, Luke's youngest brother, said "Boy, howdy" I again smile-snickered. :-)

I laughed again on pages 88, 91, 117, 176, and 209. :-)

I'll share the quote from page 209, in Chapter Thirty-One, Irene (view spoiler) LOL!!! :-)

I had tears forming in several places, too. On pages 77, 311, and then at the end.

On page 77 (Chapter Nine), tears only formed - they didn't fall - when Irene was shopping for groceries and (view spoiler) I don't know why that scene put tears in my eyes, but it did. :-)

On page 311 (Chapter Forty-Nine), it was (view spoiler) that did me in. Tears did fall for this scene.

And then the ending made me cry. It was just sooo happy. I really just loved it. :-)

So this is a wonderful book. An engaging story, fabulous characters, exciting scenes, it's just everything I most love to read about. I really, really love it. :-)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Night Long.

May 20, 2013 – Shelved as: owned-paper
December 22, 2015 – Shelved as: stars-5-outstanding-or-amazing
June 23, 2017 – Started Reading
June 23, 2017 –
page 71
22.12% "I love Jason Danner, Luke's youngest brother. Him and his "Boy, howdy" sentence starters. :-)"
June 23, 2017 –
page 321
100.0% "I love this book. I was near tears earlier, cried tears 10 pages ago, and tears exploded at the end. And I laughed at ever so many lines in this story. This book is just so, so good!"
June 23, 2017 – Shelved as: x2017-nbrc-tower-teams-v