Holly (2 Kids and Tired)'s Reviews > The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love

The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love by Beth Pattillo

Jul 03, 2009

it was ok
Read in August, 2009

Picking up where the first novel left off, we again meet The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society: a group of women get together once a month to talk about the latest book they've read for the book club and show off the latest knitting project. It sounds so good and, relatively speaking, it is. Prickly librarian Eugenie has married her youthful sweetheart, now a widowed pastor and finds herself trying to find her place in his life and church. Esther is newly widowed with a potential younger suitor. Hannah finds first love and heartbreak in high school. Merry struggles with returning to work and Camille tries to find her place in the world. Newest addition, Maria, tries to find a new life and home for her family.

I'm not sure what it is about this series that doesn't quite do it for me. The premise sounds so promising, but like the first one, it sort of falls flat. The women here are more likeable, even the prickly Eugenie and Esther. But, it's completely predictable. Eugenie chooses "Great Love Stories in Literature" for the group's reading list and as the chapters unfold, we find the inevitable comparisons: Maria and James are Elizabeth and Darcy; Hannah can relate to Wuthering Heights and Romeo and Juliet; Camille can sympathize with Scarlett O'Hara and her desire to put her own needs before everyone else's...

There was a bit more depth to it and the characters seemed to interact more than in the first one. Here, they actually seemed more like friends. Two missing parts stand out to me: we never really do find out why Camille always turned down Dante in high school, even though she liked him and the bit about Esther's first child was just tossed in without any subsequent explanation, even though it seemed significant to her.

It's very light Christian and the faith of these women isn't in the forefront of their lives, it's more of an afterthought.

Still, it's a light, entertaining read and I did enjoy it more than the first one. While reading the first book adds a bit of history, each stands alone well. I'd give it 2.5 stars if I could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love.

Ruth I suspect the reason she always turned him down in hs is that he was AA, and she was not, and couldn't handle that type of relationship