C.G. Drews's Reviews > Cress

Cress by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2014, dystopian, read-2014, sci-fi, young-adult, retelling

Since this is book #3 of The Lunar Chronicles, I'm going to go into detail about the characters. (And, let's face it, they're the best part of a book.)

But before we face-plant inwards, the only thing you need to know about Cress is: IT IS BEYOND BRILLIANT. It is! It's everything I was hoping for (and more). I just -- seriously -- oh gosh...CRESS. (If you are a Lunartic, just go read this. Nowish.)

Cinder & Kai?
Finally, we get more Cinder! She was more of a secondary character in Scarlet (understandably since Scarlet is the title of the book and therefore it should be about the snippy red-head not the cyborg). But in Cress, Cinder is back into full swing.

I love she's changing and maturing as a character (aw, sobs, the little cyborg is all grown up). We get more magical glamouring now. More of Cinder's fantastic sarcasm aaaaand...

More Kai.

I admit! In Scarlet (book #2) I thought Kai was being a brat. He was going about ruling his country all wrong (because, of course, I would do it so much better...ha ha). Finally he's forsaking some of his prejudices and acting like the Kai I knew in Cinder. (By the way, it's very hard to write a review where all the main characters names are the titles. Confusing? Yes.)

I ship Kai and Cinder SO HARD. I just wish they'd hear me screaming at the page. It's inevitable. Hurry up already and sort out your huge insurmountable differences.

Levana & the Lunars?
Can I take a minute to say how annoying Levana is? She's annoying. (Wow, that took, like 0.2 seconds, not even a minute!) If I was going to be strictly picky, I'd say that, while she's ruthless, she doesn't have any real "need" to be evil: except that she wants to rule the world. Eh. Motivation runs a bit shallow. BUT. I'm not being strictly picky. So let's move on?

I liked how we explored more of the Lunar Earthen population in Cress. They're not all bad.

Scarlet & Wolf
Here is where I'm going to complain! They're hardly in the book! I mean, they are there. But they really take the back burner, and that's so sad! I LOVE SCARLET AND WOLF. (I also ship them, but that's beside the point.)

Iko
Heh...I like Iko. (Are we sensing a pattern in this review? YES I LOVE EVERYBODY. DEAL WITH IT.) I love how Iko's not just a "secondary character". She advances the plot. She steals the show. And she's only a robot!

Cress & Thorne
Aw, aren't these two the most adorable mutant creatures to ever roam the galaxy? Okay, they're not really mutant. Cress isn't even "the main character of all chapters". She's actually one of a million (I'm exaggerating, there's like, 5 at most) POVs. But she's delightfully sweet, a tiny bit romantic, and utterly crazy. Solitude! After a few hundred years, you go a little nuts (except it was 7 years, not 100).

But Thorne? Okay, complaining time again. I. love. Thorne. I do. In Scarlet (book #2), he was intensely funny. He's full of devilish charm. But in Cress? Eh...he lost some of the devlish charm. And he COPIED. He was Flynn Rider from Tangled meets Captain Jack Sparrow from The Pirates of the Caribbean. Complete with taking lines.

When he deserted the military, he'd left half a dozen cadets and two commanding officers stranded on an island in the Caribbean. Pg. 27, CRESS

See? And:

“Captain?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"
He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. "No. I'm pretty sure it was Cinder.”

If that's not directly quoting Tangled, I don't know what is. It kind of disappoints me...and at the same time amuses me. I'm torn.

I also felt there were a lot of discrepancies of detail regarding Thorne and Cress. The spend a fair bit of time together, on a separate journey to the authors (by default). A looot of time in a desert! A desert! Fun, right? It just didn't feel realistic. And my second grumpiness with Thorne involves a bit of a spoiler (though it won't for those of you familiar with the Rupunzel tale). So I won't go into it just now. Tweet me, if you want to talk about it.

You know my favourite part about Marissa Meyer's books? All the characters are different. There are 3 main female characters: Cress, Cinder, and Scarlet. They're all so different! And that's hard to write! Everyone has quirks, styles, thought patterns. That includes all the secondary characters, and, in book #3, there are a lot of secondary characters. But I feel like these three leading girls are individuals. They're all crazy and strong and intelligent and capable. I love that!

I'll never doubt Marissa Meyer's writing. Honestly, if she writes a book: I want it. Her writing is flawless, her description captivating and her characters are -- OH MY GOSH. THE FEELS. THE SHIPPING. THE TALENT OF THIS WRITER IS TO BE CELEBRATED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cress.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Marissa Meyer
“Hello?" A girl again. "I know you can hear me. I'm sorry my friend is such a wing nut. You can just ignore him."

"That's usually what we do," said the other feminine voice.”

“Captain?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?"

Marissa Meyer
“The other girl, Iko, cupped her chin with both hands. "This is so much better than a net drama.”

Marissa Meyer
“Finally, Cinder gulped. "I'm sorry I had to --" She gestured at the unconscious wedding coordinator, then waved her hand like shaking it off. "But she'll be fine, I swear. Maybe a little nauseous when she comes to, but otherwise...And your android...Nainsi, right? I had to disable her. And her backup processor. But any mechanic can return her to defaults in about six seconds, so..." She rubbed anxiously at her wrist. "Oh, and we ran into your captain of the guard in the hallway, and a few other guards, and I may have scared him and he's, um, unconscious. Also. But, really, they'll all be fine. I swear." Her lips twitched into a brief, nervous smile. "Um...hello, again. By the way.”

Marissa Meyer
“All right, Miss Cryptic. What's the new plan, then?"
Glancing around the room, Cinder tipped up her chin. "It starts with kidnapping the groom."
Iko's hand shot into the air.
"Yes, Iko?"
"That is the best idea ever. Count me in.”

May 20, 2013 – Shelved
January 30, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 30, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 30, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: retelling

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

C.G. Drews I AM WONDERFUL AND PEOPLE GIVE ME BOOKS BECAUSE THEY THINK I AM SO WONDERFUL.

message 2: by bird (new)

bird I AM SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW.

message 3: by Bec (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bec I AM SO SO SO JEALOUS!! Can't wait to see your review though :)

Elizabeth Chesak YOU ARE SO LUCKY AAAAH

Elizabeth Chesak Haha, see, I liked Thorne more in Cress! I thought he was shallow in Scarlet and funnier in Cress. Also, I know he says he's not a hero, but I think he is slowly becoming one and we didn't see that in Scarlet.

Nice review! I've been itching to look at it but told myself I shouldn't until I'd finished Cress!

C.G. Drews OH IT WAS JUST BRILLIANT AND BEYOND BRILLIANT. ARE YOU GOING TO BLOG ABOUT IT?!

Elizabeth Chesak Cait D wrote: "OH IT WAS JUST BRILLIANT AND BEYOND BRILLIANT. ARE YOU GOING TO BLOG ABOUT IT?!"

YES YES I WILL BE DOING INCREDIBLY ENTHUSIASTIC REVIEWS

BUT PROBABLY NOT UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF MARCH, BECAUSE I PLAN TO POST FOR THE GOOD-SINFUL ALLIANCE NEXT AND THAT TAKES A WEEK AND THEN I NEED TO CATCH UP ON PHOTOGRAPHY POSTS AAAAND REVIEW DIVERGENT

...I find and read awesome books faster than I can possibly review them. xD

C.G. Drews I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I've got SO many reviews that need to go up at the moment...gaaah! I don't like posting more than 2 reviews a week, but this week I had to post 3 and I'm sure the readers are getting bored. >_< BUT WHAT IS A PERSON TO DO WHEN THEY HAVE SO MANY GOOD BOOKS?!!

Elizabeth Chesak I was going to write a double review of Scarlet and Cress... and then I realized it would be super-long and bore my readers, because I have so much to say.

Also, we need to discuss Dr. Erland. :/

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews *sobs quietly* I'm half proud of Marissa Meyer for actually going ahead and axing a more main-ish character (I get worried about this authors who can't even hurt anyone), buuuut. Crescent Moon.

Jeremy   Btw you would make a much better ruler than Kai.
#caitforruleroftheuniverse I think, my memory isn’t letting me remember the actual thing. Okay, now I’m going to go into my cave to brood about my memory being useless like several love interests who are useless and aren’t in this book because the lunar chronicles is fantastic and amazing and why haven’t I read Winter yet. Depression. Yeah, my brooding cave is currently essential for survival.