Sena Khateeb's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

May 19, 2013

** spoiler alert ** The first two sentences of the book are intriguing:
"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
'Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.'"

However, it became a little boring for me after that. I kept hoping it would get better, and rise up to my expectations of it- and it surely did.

When Gatsby first introduces himself to Nick, you immediately like him. When he arranges for the meeting with Daisy at Nick's, you sympathize with him. Later on, you learn more about his character and who he really was- he was a drug dealer, he idolized money and wealth...
Nick showed contradictory responses towards Gatsby. He appears to disapprove of his actions, and other times he seems to admire him.

I think there is no doubt that Gatsby loved Daisy. Not just for her wealth, or for her voice that is "full of money". He wanted her so badly, that having her was his only and ultimate goal. He wanted her to divorce her husband, Tom, and go with him.

I thought the story was very sad. Gatsby doesn't get to be with Daisy. He gets killed, and only a few people show up at his funeral while, on the other hand, they used to show up by hundreds at his parties. And owl-eyes comments on that by saying "'Why, my God! they used to go there [Gatsby's house] by the hundreds." Daisy left with Tom and did not even bother to send flowers to Gatsby's funeral (!). It shows how lonely Gatsby was, how his 'friends' were only his 'friends' because of his wealth; his money and the parties he threw.
The life of rich people was portrayed as being filled with problems, where relations were insincere. There is a lot cheating, lying, selfishness... Gatsby becomes rich to win his lover's heart, Daisy represents money, Tom talks about race-pride...

There were some things I didn't understand, and, for example, I had to reread the part where Gatsby dies to "figure out" that he died!. But the book was good, and I cannot wait to watch the movie!

Some of my favorite lines from the book:

-"And I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isn’t any privacy."

-"I am one of the few honest people that I have known."

-"The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly."

-"Her voice is full of money."

-"He looked- and this is said in all contempt for the babbled slander of his garden-as if he had 'killed a man'. For a moment the set of his face could be described in just that fantastic way."

-"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Quotes Sena Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

May 19, 2013 – Shelved
May 19, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 11, 2013 – Started Reading
page 57
page 71
27.2% ""And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy.""
page 172
65.9% ""Her voice is full of money."- said Gatsby. I like the book very much. I think there's this.. mysteriousness about Gatsby. You read about him: about his drug-buisiness, his friends, Daisy.. But there's something mysterious about him. At least that's what I think right now."
December 11, 2013 – Finished Reading