Jane Dugger's Reviews > The Master Quilter

The Master Quilter by Jennifer Chiaverini

Jul 02, 2009

bookshelves: 2005-books-read, good-for-discussion
Read in June, 2005

This is probably my favorite book Ms Chiaverini has written. It wasn't the plot that I found so fascinating but the way she delivered it. I don't know if there is a specific name for this style or if it may fall under the POV category. She tells the same story in each chapter from every character's POV. So with chapter one you get Sarah's POV (I can't remember who actually was first), the second you get the same events/story told from Summer's POV, etc. Every chapter gives the reader more information about the big picture. I thought this was a clever plot device. Plus, I think it demonstrates the great writing ability Ms Chiaverini has with telling the story from all of these POVs by keeping each character's personality without losing sight of the theme. If I ever write a book I would love to use this method.

This method reminds me of "Pulp Fictions" use of a story-within-a-story only better. Oh, I just remembered another movie that I enjoyed that uses this POV plot device "He Loves Me ... He Loves Me Not" (a French film with Audrey Tautou. Basically it tells the story about a relationship between two people; the first half from the female POV and the second half from the male POV. I think this technique may be unreliable narrator. Or maybe not? Does anyone know?

Nevertheless, read this book even if it is out of your genre simply to observe a really clever literary device.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master Quilter.