Jeann (Happy Indulgence) 's Reviews > A Ranger's Tale

A Ranger's Tale by Mysti Parker

bookshelves: review-copy, romance, fantasy

This review appears on my Happy Indulgence Blog. Check out the author interview here!

A Ranger's Tale is an emotionally charged story about a beautiful high elf in search of adventure and an ex-pirate sea merchant falling in love. Told from multiple perspectives, I experienced a flurry of emotions as I followed Lady Caliphany and Galidan on their adventures.

Caliphany is the King's niece and a high elf who will do anything to escape the life her father has planned for her. As a mage in training, she is expected to follow in her father's footsteps and become a wizard and wed another elf. While she can wield the power of fire, Cali wants to escape her gilded cage in search of adventure and independence.

One day, she is rescued by a half-elf and ranger called Galadin, who she pressures into training her how to fight. Unable to resist her charm, the Galadin succumbs and before long the two can't hide their attraction to each other. As the two begin to learn about each other, we're swept up in a sweeping romance between the two.

I thoroughly enjoyed the world of Tallenmere, a fantasy world full of high seas, elves, villages, goblins, magic and inns. The author has built an amazingly evocative world where we have the pleasure of experiencing the emotions of two strong, independent protagonists who go through some character developments and unresolved feelings. I loved Mysti's follow through and the way she tied things together, from bringing up Jayden, Cali's childhood love to Cali wanting to become a ranger later in life. Cali's relationship with her parents was both touching and heartbreaking at times as they are experiencing difficult emotions themselves with having a rebellious daughter.

I took a star off for the corny "want to be with him/her" lines and the way they suddenly decided they loved each other but hey, it's a romance so I guess that's to be expected. I've seen worse where it's completely unjustified and at least these two have gotten to know each other beforehand.

I didn't expect to love this book like I did when I finished it, as there was a difficult moment in the middle when things didn't seem to work out. With several unexpected twists and turns, I won't spoil the surprise but it's definitely a journey worth experiencing. The book features heaps of action, fantasy, romance and steamy bedroom scenes and I highly recommend it. Thanks Mysti for providing me with this review copy, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Ranger's Tale.

May 18, 2013 – Shelved
May 18, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2013 – Shelved as: review-copy
June 28, 2013 – Started Reading
July 1, 2013 –
40.0% "Transported to a fantasy land :)"
July 2, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 12, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
July 12, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Mysti (last edited Jul 03, 2013 07:20AM) (new) - added it

Mysti Parker Thanks for reading and reviewing, Jeann! It is actually a stand alone story, but the books are all interconnected into one overarching plot line. And Cali/Galadin also appear in the second book Serenya's Song to help Jayden save the world :)