nick's Reviews > #scandal

#scandal by Sarah Ockler

it was ok
bookshelves: arc

*Sighs* I've loved all of Sarah Ockler's books that I've read and I was itching to read #scandal because she's one of my favorite authors. The disappointment I experienced after finishing this book made me want to go sob in a corner because there's nothing more I hate than having to give a negative review to an author I like. As hard as I tried to enjoy this book, I simply couldn't.

#scandal had a promising theme of cyber bullying, that was never explored to its full extent. That was my number one problem. I thought that the characters in the book took this very serious issue way too lightly. I could have gotten by with the teenagers not taking it seriously, but the school's principal? This woman was a joke of a principal and a shame to those devoted principals out there. She spent her time on freaking Facebook instead of doing her job even when she had students discussing important issues in her office. Quite frankly, she was a complete joke and I'm not sure what the author was trying to represent through her, but whatever it was I didn't get it at all. I also never felt attached to any of the characters for some reason. I wanted to like Lucy, I really did, but she was just so bland and I don't know, just really boring. She lacked that spark that Sarah Ockler's previous heroines had. I did like Franklin, a guy that Lucy befriends once she faces the scandal and to be honest, he might be the only one I liked.

I went into #scandal expecting more of a romance, which was barely there. Cole and Lucy were supposed to be in love with each other, and they even declare their love for each other, but I never got to see that love in front of me. Cole was barely even present in the book and the few scenes they had did nothing to prove to me that their love was genuine. See, I know Sarah Ockler can write fantastic romances, but what happened here? This romance was so flat, something I never thought I would use to describe a Sarah Ockler book. I actually struggled to finish the book because I was bored out of my mind, but I continued hoping it would get better. The mystery involved with Lucy's scandal was also very glaringly obvious especially since the author dropped a huge, hard-to-miss hint in the beginning.

In the end, I just didn't feel like there was anything that truly captured my attention with #scandal. I'm disappointed and sad that I didn't enjoy it, but I hope you readers do find some redeeming qualities in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read #scandal.

May 18, 2013 – Shelved
May 18, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 6, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
January 30, 2014 – Started Reading
January 30, 2014 –
0.0% "I love Sarah Ockler's books. I hope this one is a book I'll love too!"
January 30, 2014 –
page 100
January 31, 2014 –
page 190
45.67% "I'm honestly not sure what to think of this. It's not exactly what I expected."
February 1, 2014 –
page 290
69.71% "I was expecting more of a romance when I went into this. The couple has declared their love for each other but I don't see the love at all. There's no build-up. Also, the cyber-bullying is handled so lightly by everyone, including the joke of a principal, who spends her time on Facebook instead of doing her job. I'm very disappointed with this."
February 1, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon I can't wait to hear what you think of this Nick! It sounds really good.

nick Sharon, the book won't open on my e-reader for some reason. :( I've tried multiple times. :(

message 3: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Aww, shame :( are you able to send it to another device or read it online (although if you're like me eye strain is a problem).

nick Yeah, I could read it on my computer, but I'm not a fan of reading this way. :/

nick OK I just got it to work! :D

message 6: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think :-)