Mona's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell from the Sky

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

it was ok
bookshelves: 21st-century-lit, literature, race-cultural-studies, social-justice-human-rights

It was just okay. The writing felt forced. The characters had the potential to be interesting but sometimes were too one-dimensional, or Durrow didn't emphasize the dynamics between them. I also came to this with the understanding that biracialism would be an overriding theme, and in fact, the book jacket summary promises that Rachel will "confront" her mixed identity. (Maybe I should ignore book jacket summaries - they tend to be misleading.) Although the book references biracialism several times, the incidents seem to be on the periphery of the story, rather than something with which Rachel is directly struggling. There is also no concrete, cohesive resolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell from the Sky.

July 1, 2009 – Shelved
March 4, 2011 – Started Reading
March 4, 2011 – Shelved as: 21st-century-lit
March 4, 2011 – Shelved as: literature
March 4, 2011 – Shelved as: race-cultural-studies
March 4, 2011 – Shelved as: social-justice-human-rights
March 6, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Susan (last edited Jul 16, 2012 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan Yes, I, too, found the book jacket misleading. I wonder if I would have liked this better if I hadn't read the jacket or didn't know that it won the Bellwether Prize. Multiracial kids confront difficulties among their peers in the school system where I live, and I was hoping that, as you said, Rachel's being biracial would be more of an overriding theme so we could use this book as a basis of discussions.

Danielle I found the book jacket to be mismatched and wondered if it was misplaced. I did not see a social justice theme nor a biracialsm theme within the book. I also hated the writing. I felt like I was skipping pages and had to reorient. Not my style, not my liking, and I felt that the character development could have been done in a way that engaged the audience, not the author.

Kristy I completely agree with all aspects of your review, Mona!

Danise Elijah It was absolutely resolved as something that is only resolved personally. Rachel accepts herself and defines herself. That is a resolution.

Matt I never read the jacket sleeve, but I too found it forced at times. I that there was a lot of dry storytelling and that it developed very slowly. I became more interested in the story than the way that the to was told, which was just a bit too poetic.

message 6: by DPS (new) - rated it 5 stars

DPS I did find a biracial theme throughout. It was not shouted, just quietly integrated into the story. For me, it was a little slow-going at the beginning, but I really got caught up in it about a third of the way through. By the last page, I didn't want it to end.

Angela She lived as a biracial girl every day. She confronted it daily. What happened to Rachel was due to the fact that her mother felt she couldn’t protect her biracial children from a world that could only see them as biracial. Had they not been so, she wouldn’t have been driven to jump off their building with them in tow.