Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)'s Reviews > Super Dark

Super Dark by Tanith Morse

bookshelves: challenge-2013, reviewed, paranormal

Thought I have to say. I am not a Stephenie Meyer fan, but I still really enjoyed did this!

I needed something different and this was it for me.

Bad memories follow Sam Harper and that night ten years ago on Halloween when grotesque creatures kidnapped her and her best friend Elliot. Somehow Sam managed to escape with her life, after her best friend pleaded for the Gruesome two to let her go if he went willingly with them. After a decade of police investigation and no signs of Elliot, his status remains a mystery.

Sam's parents are now divorced, and she lives with her mom who does her best to provide for the two of them. Unfortunately Sam also moves around a lot, and has a hard time due to her past making friends or trusting authoritative figures.

I must say I kind of liked Sam. Her past haunts her so she has a really hard time letting people in and feels that people will recognize that girl from the news, the girl who survived while her best friend was still missing. She is kind of hard headed and sometimes set in her own ways. The relationship with her mother made me happy at first, cause for once her mother looked like an active adult in a YA novel. Of course later in the book things get weird and her mothers attitude seems to sway a little.

Anyway, Sam meets this mysteries art student Lee Weaver and she is instantly drawn to him. But not like insta-love lure, more of a thing were she just wants him to notice her. Lust. Unfortunately for Sam, her new friend Becky is like seriously obsessed with him (to the point where it just got downright annoying). Lee of course has his eye on one person and that happens to be Sam. As alluring and gorgeous as the boy is, there are stuff in his life that don't add up and make Sam question Lee Weaver and what he is hiding.

Great book, it had everything I wanted. A good love story, paranormal, and mystery! I have to say, by 50% I kind of knew a little of what was going on but the ending was different and surprising for me. I liked Frasier, one of Sam's friends - he had a great personality, very unique and different. Becky I could have went without, she seemed a little ditzy and a little too obsessed over a guy she only saw twice and had no way of contacting when he kept blowing her off. And Lee, I really liked Lee even thought he made me want to throttle him at times when he treated Sam a bit bad. I couldn't help but feel drawn to her and wanted to hear his story.

Well crafted! Kept he hooked until the very end.. No seriously.. I finished this book in one day, I wanted to know what happened. The book ended on a small cliff-hanger and left me wanting more. I believe the series is finished, so hopefully I can look into getting the next book as well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Dark.

May 16, 2013 – Started Reading
May 16, 2013 – Shelved
May 16, 2013 –
50.0% "I think i know whats going on..."
May 16, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole Was this Twilight fanfic or something? I was definitely a Twilight fanatic, and this sounds somewhat similar. Nice review, hon!

Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe) I never read twilight, but from what I know of it and reading this book. I don't think it is, scratch that.. definitely not. lol. Actually I am not even sure why it is compared to Twilight.

message 3: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole I guess I was comparing it b/c of the Stephanie Meyer comment. :D

Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe) Duchess Nicole wrote: "I guess I was comparing it b/c of the Stephanie Meyer comment. :D"

Yeah I was wondering about that too XD... but no, I don't think...I don't know hehe. The book was free on Amazon btw :)

message 5: by Duchess Nicole (new)

Duchess Nicole Great, thanks for the heads up!!