Luke Burrage's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Hugh Howey

liked it
bookshelves: ebook

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #191.

Some updates:

05/17
31.0% "Finished the first Shift story (called "First Shift"). Nicely written, interesting characters... but due to it being a prequel or backstory, it was pretty predictable. Or maybe I'm just looking too hard for the twists!" 6 comments
05/19
90.0% "Second story way better than the first. It's taken a dip for the third story though. Just revealing ever more twists is fun, but doesn't make for a compelling story in its own right."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

May 16, 2013 – Started Reading
May 16, 2013 – Shelved
May 16, 2013 – Shelved as: ebook
May 17, 2013 –
May 19, 2013 –
May 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Amrit (new)

Amrit Zoad As, a reviewer, u should, but u never read novels 100%, what makes a critic different from audiences, but u do ur work like one of the audiences.Also u r proving, a harsh statement about critics, that they are only hard & fast!

Luke Burrage Amrit wrote: "As, a reviewer, u should, but u never read novels 100%, what makes a critic different from audiences, but u do ur work like one of the audiences.Also u r proving, a harsh statement about critics, t..."

I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

message 3: by Amrit (new)

Amrit Zoad I just said that, don't give reviews based on incompletely read novels, u r a critic, man!!

Luke Burrage I finished this novel. Novels that I don't finish I don't normally review on my podcast.

message 5: by Amrit (new)

Amrit Zoad Then what is that 31% & 90% in ur review, also in ur podcast, you gave the review of The Fountainhead, but didn't read it completely!!
I am not judging, just a guidance from a reader thats all!! No offence!

Luke Burrage I put an update at 31%, then another update at 90%. Then I clicked "I'm finished" and put in the review. I'm not even sure if you can make a 100% reading update without clicking "I'm finished".

And I've never started The Fountainhead, let alone attempted to review it. I think you need to get your thoughts in order before commenting again.

message 7: by Amrit (new)

Amrit Zoad O, sorry my mistake, it was Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand!

Luke Burrage Right, Atlas Shrugged which I specifically highlighted not finishing on the podcast, and didn't give a star rating either. Check out the episode lists page on sfbrp.com and you'll see I didn't rate Last and First Men either, as I didn't feel I read enough of that to do so.

message 9: by Amrit (new)

Amrit Zoad Ok, lets end this topic!!
It's nice work u r doing there!!

Jamie Brilliant thread.

Jenny (Reading Envy) I just finished this and ended up feeling like it was just as interesting not to know the whys and hows of Wool. Kind of disappointing.