LFPL Teen Services's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Sep 13, 2007

bookshelves: end-of-the-worldbooks, realisticfiction
Read in September, 2007

The news is abuzz with the event that is to occur in which an asteroid will collide with the moon. Little did anyone expect, the force of the collision would be enough to knock the moon out of orbit and fall closer to earth.

This catastrophic event is felt all over the world - volcanoes begin erupting, tsunamis flood out coastal cities, and earthquakes become commonplace.

This book, told in the form of Miranda's diary, details her family's survival following this terrible occurrence. Struggling to ration food, contact lost relatives, and live without electricity becomes their main purpose. Life becomes something that she never imagined and she must think only of survival in a world where she is surrounded by death.

You will not quickly forget this book. As the story unfolds, you begin to share every desperation that Miranda feels for herself and her family. Don't miss this extremely poignant book.

_Kate_

Frightingly realistic "end of the world" story.

Miranda is a typical junior in high school with a typical younger and older brother. Her divorced mom is pretty typical too. But when a catastrophic event happens and messes up life as we know it, her family becomes more essential and survival becomes the most important part of living.

The dialogue rings true and reading the story is, at times, like invading someone's nightmare. Written in diary form with lots of dialogue to keep it moving.

~Lisa S.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.