Heather's Reviews > Jesus Land: A Memoir

Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

F 50x66

Good book, although disturbing. After reading Jesus Land, it's hard to believe that folks still insist on taking the Bible as a literal, concrete set of instructions... I mean, in Proverbs alone there are highly offensive passages such as the one often quoted by the 'missionaries' in this book, 'spare the rod, spoil the child' stuff. When will people grasp the Bible as an entire story, a part of God's masterpiece, of which God's amazing Love and His wish for us to love one another as He loves us... is the core. (the Bible should be read as a full piece, not as bits and pieces that we pick out, and certainly the historical context should be considered! I mean we don't follow the instructions about stoning one another for various transgressions any more!) God's kind of Love does not include hatred and cruelty, yet the Bible is used so often to justify people's actions of hatred and cruelty.

I loved how Julia and her brother's love for one another was the bond, the strength that got them through their toughest trials. For that Love is what God intended for them to understand and know... that was God's work. (The other 'Christian' stuff in this book... not of God at all).

I hope Julia may experience more actual love in her life as she continues to make a difference in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Land.

Started Reading