Eric's Reviews > The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

Jun 30, 2009

bookshelves: science, recent-reads, favorites
Read in October, 2009

epic.

i've read a lot about evolution, and i think it's arguable that this is the best book about evolution since 'the origin of species.' at least in terms of those which are not scholarly works aimed at biologists.

i thought i had a pretty good grasp on evolution, but there were several points in this book where i felt completely floored, either by the shattering of some previously held assumption, or by dawkins' ability to crystallize so perfectly something that had previously seemed entirely fuzzy to me.

there are a gazillion of wonderful reviews out there on this book, so i don't feel it's necessary to tell people anything other than to read it if you have any interest in how we got to where we are. you will walk away with a renewed sense of connection to all living things, and a greater appreciation for the diversity of life on earth, for the haphazard, but beautiful messes that are our bodies, for our strange ecosystems, and for the nature of life, suffering, and survival.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Show on Earth.

08/24/2016 marked as: read