L.H. Johnson's Reviews > Two Sams at the Chalet School

Two Sams at the Chalet School by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

it was ok
bookshelves: childrens-literature, classics, school-stories, series

Two Sams at the Chalet School is a book of peaks and troughs and near-unbearable coincidence. So the same old thing really.

Samantha Van Der Byl and Samaris are two new girls at the Chalet School. Although they're different ages, and in different forms, they're drawn into being friends with each other FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON. It's sort of glorious the way Brent-Dyer can't resist going THERE'S A CONNECTION CAN YOU GUESS WHAT IT IS with them, and then when that connection is revealed it's sort of glorious how a little part of me dies each time.

Two Sams is also full of some nicely telling ideological moments representative of the series as a whole. I'm always pleased to see the recurrence of Nina Rutherford who is a bit of a fascination of mine, and it's fascinating to see that the issues Brent-Dyer previously had with writing her is still in situ. I don't think she ever quite found the same level of comfort with Nina and her 'extreme' genius, as she did with somebody like Margia Stevens say, and so Nina remains an awkwardly drawn, and very stiff character.

It's also interesting to compare and contrast the treatment of Nina in this book with the treatment given to Con Maynard. Con is one of those characters who is never quite allowed to live in the way she's been written to be. I've written more about this here.

As a whole though, Two Sams suffers from a lack of focus. I'm never really sure who we're meant to root for, whether it's a good thing that THE MYSTERIOUS CONNECTION is what it is, and whether we're really meant to care. There are moments when the old Brent-Dyer skills shine (say, with Phil in particular) but as a whole it's a written by numbers affair. One for completionists and not to be read after Adrienne and the Chalet School otherwise you will collapse from coincidence-overload.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Sams at the Chalet School.

Finished Reading