Kerri's Reviews > Paula

Paula by Isabel Allende

Jun 29, 2009

Read in June, 2009

Fantastic book! Great stories. I was thinking after I bought the book, "oh shoot! why didn't I get this in Spanish!" However, Allende's writing is so elevated with lots of extensive vocabulary that I find it hard to digest it all at times...even though it is in English. I read slowly and pause so that I can get it all in. It is a refreshing challenge. I am not complaining, on the contrary, it is fabulous the way she writes, her style, language, story telling skills, the jumping around from one story to another, great details about each character so that you really feel like you get to know them. This is a very personal book filled with emotion. You can feel Allende's pain and distress as she describes life in the hospital. After awhile I must have gotten used to her style & language because I devoured the pages in a matter of days. I really enjoy Allende and am sad that I have not read anything of hers prior.

I find it interesting that the story is mostly nonfiction. For me, the fact that everything is real, makes her story and her as an author more interesting! I really enjoy how Allende talks about "authorism" or the art of writing as she describes her act of writing and her process from her perspective. I enjoyed getting the inside scoop on her career & prior books & characters. The way she writes about writing stirs that childhood dream of mine to be a writer!

I am a total Allende fan now!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paula.

06/29/2009 page 161