Jenn's Reviews > The Tiger in the Well

The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman

Jun 29, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, audio

WOW. Well, I don't think there could be much more plot stuffed into this book, and as things revved up, listening in only 15-25-minute bursts was more and more an exercise in frustration.

I downloaded this after having watched the BBC movies of the first two books--the second engrossed me enough that I wanted to know what happened to Sally next. I was amazed at how much more detail was packed in here--I can't imagine turning it into a two-hour movie. Pullman obviously loves the time period, considering the detail he lavishes on everything, and he delves into some fascinating stuff--women's rights, socialism, anti-semitism, the Jewish immigrant experience, class distinctions. Seriously impressive.

Anton Lesser is amazing, believably inhabiting Sally as well as Russian Jewish immigrants, Irish gang members, every stripe of English accent . . . I will absolutely be seeking out more of his narrations (and I'm really sorry the audio version of The Tin Princess never made it across the pond).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger in the Well.

June 29, 2009 – Shelved
July 21, 2009 –
0.0% "I'm not sure how much more I can take--POOR SALLY!"
Started Reading