Brooke Hargett's Reviews > Eleanor and Park

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

May 14, 2013

bookshelves: favorites

I LOVE Eleanor and Park- I feel like they are an actual couple in the real world somewhere, and they will forever live in my mind that way. I don't usually pick up love-story-esque books but this is not ordinary love story. An totally unlikely pair, with their sarcastic banter and teenage angst, I loved that there was enough unpredictability to keep me hooked. They felt so multidimensional to me, and the budding romance was so refreshing. They aren't drawn to each other for some unexplainable reason without any substance. In fact, their relationship is packed with substance, with complexities rooted in family issues and a lot of underlying stress. But that's what makes it so perfect. This book makes you want to go back in time and experience your first love all over again.

It's packed with epic love one-liners and I want to put in my favorites, but there are SO MANY that I don't think I should spoil them and let you see them out of context. You would never get everything BEHIND the words if you haven't read it yet. It's one of those books you don't want to end, and I read through it way too fast. Actually I listened to the audio version of this in two days, and it was fabulous- adding even more flavor to the characters for me!

I recommend this to anyone who loves love, to anyone who wants to be swept up in a sweet story that isn't what you would expect. I featured this book on my suggestions of Top 10 Summer Reads, which you can see here: http://blog.brookehargett.com/2013/05..., and I'm so glad I did!

My only hesitation in recommending this to everyone is that there is quite a bit of language, which is authentic for the situation and for high schoolers, but might not be for all readers. The story is beautifully written and I know I'll always remember it. I will definitely be picking up another book by Rainbow Rowell soon!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor and Park.

May 14, 2013 – Shelved
May 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 28, 2013 – Started Reading
July 1, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
July 1, 2013 – Finished Reading

Kelly I'm excited to read this book too!