Mounica's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Jun 29, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, luuvvved-it
Read in July, 2009

I absolutely loved this book. It was emotional, powerful, and stunning. This is my first book I read by Jodi Picoult, and I liked her writing style. It was also pretty cool how each chapter was in a different character's point of view. The plot was pretty original, though sometimes it reminded me of the book, House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer.

Basically, the story is about Anna, who is the genetically perfect match of her leukemia patient sister, Kate. The very existence of Anna's life is to provide her blood and bone marrow to keep her sister alive. When it finally comes to giving her kidney away, Anna sues her parents for the rights of her body. And, then, begins the winding set of events to answer the fundamental question of what's right and what's moral. "If you use one of your children to save the life of another," the author asks, "are you being a good mother...or a very bad one?"

There's also the issue about the ending. I don't know...I didn't see it coming, but it wasn't exactly as horrible as others thought it was. I mean, life can be have moments that are unexpected and catch you deer-in-the-headlights. Maybe that's what Jodi Picoult intended. I personally didn't have any problem with the ending, except for the fact it was so ultimately sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

Quotes Mounica Liked

Jodi Picoult
“Normal, in our house, is like a blanket too short for a bed--sometimes it covers you just fine, and other times it leaves you cold and shaking; and worst of all, you never know which of the two it's going to be.”

Jodi Picoult
“See, as much as you want to hold on to the bitter sore memory that someone has left this world, you are still in it”

Jodi Picoult
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.”

Jodi Picoult
“Do you know how sometimes - when you are riding your bike and you start skidding across sand, or when you miss a step and start tumbling down the stairs - you have those long, long seconds to know that you are going to be hurt, and badly?”

Jodi Picoult
“It's about a girl who is on the cusp of becoming someone.. A girl who may not know what she wants right now, and she may not know who she is right now, but who deserves the chance to find out.”

Jodi Picoult
“If you have a sister and she dies, do you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?”

Jodi Picoult
“Maybe who we are isn't so much about what we do, but rather what we're capable of when we least expect it.”

Jodi Picoult
“It's disappointing to know that someone can see right through you.”

Jodi Picoult
“Kids think with their brains cracked wide open; becoming an adult, I've decided, is only a slow sewing shut.”

Jodi Picoult
“I learn from my own daughter that you don’t have to be awake to cry.”

Jodi Picoult
“I'm lonely. Why do you think I had to learn to act so independent? I also get mad too quickly, and I hog the covers, and my second toe is longer than my big one. My hair has it's own zip code. Plus, I get certifiably crazy when I've got PMS. You don't love someone because they're perfect. You love them in spite of the fact that they're not.”

Jodi Picoult
“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”

Jodi Picoult
“Shooting stars are not stars at all. They re just rocks that enter the atmosphere and catch fire under friction. What we wish on when we see one is only a trail of debris.”

Jodi Picoult
“I thought lightning wasn't supposed to strike in the same place twice....sure it does...but only if you're too dumb to move.”

Jodi Picoult
“They don't really pay attention to me, except when they need my blood or something. I wouldn't even be alive, if it wasn't for Kate being sick.”

Jodi Picoult
“You know how every now and then, you have a moment where your whole life stretches out ahead of you like a forked road, and even as you choose one gritty path you've got your eyes on the other the whole time, certain that you're making a mistake.”

Jodi Picoult
“We are all, I suppose, beholden to our parents - the question is, how much?”

Jodi Picoult
“I wondered what happened when you offered yourself to someone, and they opened you, only to discover you were not the gift they expected and they had to smile and nod and say thank you all the same.”

Jodi Picoult
“I would have given anything to keep her little. They outgrow us so much faster than we outgrow them.
Brian Fitzgerald, talking about his children.”

Jodi Picoult
“He insisted that stars were people so well loved, they were traced in constellations, to live forever”

Jodi Picoult
“There should be a statute of limitation on grief. A rulebook that says it is all right to wake up crying, but only for a month. That after 42 days you will no longer turn with your heart racing, certain you have heard her call out your name. That there will be no fine imposed if you feel the need to clean out her desk; take down her artwork from the refrigerator; turn over a school portrait as you pass - if only because it cuts you fresh again to see it. That it's okay to measure the time she has been gone, the way we once measured her birthdays.”

Jodi Picoult
“(24/7) once you sign on to be a mother, that's the only shift they offer.”

Jodi Picoult
“Once, in second grade, Kate drew a picture of a firefighter with a halo above his helmet. She told her class that I would only be allowed to go to Heaven, because if I went to Hell, I'd put out all the fires.
~Brian Fitzgerald”

Jodi Picoult
“There are always sides. There is always a winner and a loser. For every person who gets, there's someone who must give. ”

Jodi Picoult
“It is the things you cannot see coming that are strong enough to kill you.”

Jodi Picoult
“remember that every fire will burn itself out, even without your help.”

Jodi Picoult
“You did really great up there,” I tell her, because I don’t know how to say what I really want to: that the people you love can surprise you every day. That maybe who we are isn’t so much about what we do, but rather what we’re capable of when we least expect it.”

Jodi Picoult
“The bottom line is that we never fall for the people we're supposed to.”

Jodi Picoult
“do you fix a wheel that isn't broken, or do you wait until the cart collapses?”

Jodi Picoult
“The human capacity for burden is like bamboo- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.”

Jodi Picoult
“When you care more if someone else lives than you do about yourself- is that what [love is]?”

Jodi Picoult
“If there's something as good as [him] in my life, I'm going to pay for it.”

Jodi Picoult
“Sara: "You are so brave," I tell her, and then I smile. "When I grow up, I want to be just like you."
To my surprise, Kate shakes her head hard. Her voice is a feather, a thread. "No Mommy," she says. "You'd be sick.”

Jodi Picoult
“As for his name, well, what attorney wouldn't want to be able put a Judge in a crate every now and then?”
tags: pets

Jodi Picoult
“A heroin-thin boy with enough rings in his eyebrows to resemble a shower curtain rod...”

Jodi Picoult
“A bus cuts the world in half...”

Jodi Picoult
“My mother moves so fast I do not even see it coming. But she slaps my face hard enough to make my head snap backward. She leaves a print that stains me long after it’s faded. Just so you know: shame is five-fingered.”

Jodi Picoult
“Anna is the only proof I have that I was born into this family. Instead of dropped off on the doorstep by some Bonnie and Clyde couple that ran off into the night. On the surface, we’re polar opposites. Under the skin, though, we’re the same: people think they know what they’re getting, and they’re always wrong. (Jesse)”

07/06/2009 page 423