Patrick's Reviews > The Wee Free Men

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: books-i-would-blurb, best-books-for-kids

I will never be able to write a book as good as this.

I just finished reading it again. This is probably my third or fourth time.

I love all of Pratchett's books. It's easy to do, as the best of them are utterly excellent, while the worst of them is merely great.

This, I think, might be his best. And I love it for so many reasons. It is diamond beyond price among the other brilliant (but perhaps lesser) diamonds.

Part of me wants to quote parts of it to you. But I won't. Out of context you can't feel the weight of them.

I love the main character. A little girl who is smart and strong and uncertain and proud.

I wish I had a little girl, so I could give her this book.

I wish I could give a copy of this book for every little girl in the world. I want them to meet Tiffany. And even if they don't want to be like Tiffany, I want them to know that she exists. That she is possible.

I wish I could give a copy of this book to every little boy in the world, too. I want them to meet Tiffany. And even if they don't want to be like her, I want them to know that she exists, that she is possible.

I wish I could read this book to my little boy. But he's only five, and parts of it would spook him, and other parts he wouldn't understand. Maybe in a year he will be ready.

If you haven't read this book, you really should. You'll enjoy it a little more if you're familiar with Pratchett's Work, but that's not essential.

When I grow up, I want to be Tiffany Aching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men.

June 29, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 6, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-would-blurb
June 6, 2015 – Shelved as: best-books-for-kids
June 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

message 1: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie What a beautiful review. I haven't anything to add. Only to say thank you. To you, for your review, and to the universe that brought us Terry Pratchett and Tiffany Aching.

Lucille Beautiful beautiful review ! Such good words about a wonderful book

Allison Ruvidich Aww, I love your review! This book is one of my favorites. I loved it so much I read it to my mom, which I never do. It was important to me to learn that brown-haired girls have destinies, too. : D

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah Thanks for your review. It is one of my very favorite Pratchett books.

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Be right back. Have to add this to my "to read" list.

Emily My six-year-old loved this book when I read it to him. Doing the Wee Free Men voices is the best part.

Caitlin I adore this book. Someday, if I have children, I will read it to them. With voices, and great glee over the footnotes.

April Cote Damn, how do you do it? You make me want to read every book you review.

Susan Z I also want to be Tiffany Aching when I grow up. And Granny Weatherwax. And Spike/Adorabelle. And Susan Sto Helit. And a bit of Sam Vimes.

But mostly Tiffany Aching.

message 10: by Susanl (new)

Susanl I am 61, and I also want to be Tiffany when I grow up.

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Stacy So I will read this author. Such a sweet review from my favorite author cannot be easily dismissed. Never say never dear Pat!

message 12: by Nestus (new)

Nestus Venter Hat full of sky is my favorite. I have two girls and Tiffany had a profound effect on both of them. Yes, every girl and boy on earth should meet her.

message 13: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby So can this book be read as a standalone? I've read Pratchetts work, but my daughters haven't... which leads to my next question - how old would the little girl be that you would give this to? Is it good bedtime reading? Appreciate your input on this... I read to my girls every night, but its hard to find good books that aren't too scary before bed!

message 14: by Anjelica26 (new) - added it

Anjelica26 i cried when he passed away.

message 15: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Libby, I would say 7-9. It's no scarier than Harry Potter #1. Might be too exciting for bedtime.

Dennis Henley Totally agree. I'm currently rereading all of the Discworld books in preparation for the last one this September. The Wee Free Men became a favorite when I first read it and stays a favorite. Tiffany Aching rules!

message 17: by Teo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teo smite One of his best!

message 18: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim I just started reading Pratchett and I love his satirical style. Nice change of pace! Looking forward to reading all of em

message 19: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Libby wrote: "So can this book be read as a standalone? I've read Pratchetts work, but my daughters haven't... which leads to my next question - how old would the little girl be that you would give this to? Is..."

Every girl should read this every mom and dad should too, and it is stand alone, the beginning of a mini-series in the Discworld series. And I would say from about 8 onwards anyone should read it

message 20: by Darogi86 (new) - added it

Darogi86 Do you ever read anything serious? or just these funny children stories and pulp fantasy?

message 21: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea I love Tiffany Aching. Love. My daughter is making her appearance in July and she will be meeting Tiffany as soon as she is old enough to do so!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy When Pat says, "I'll never write a book as good as this." One clicks the "Want to Read" button.

Nancy Schober You neglected to mention the utterly charming writing. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I would have never known to pick it up otherwise.

message 24: by Krystal (new)

Krystal Tubbs Well, that was the easiest buy ever.

Benny Britania gotta try this!

Rachael Simpson Always makes my wee Scottish soul smile to read this book :)

Megan Ah...I totally feel the same every time I reread this book. I want to be Tiffany when I grow up too.

message 28: by Zahra (new)

Zahra can anyone tells me how to read books in this kindle

message 29: by Zahra (new)

Zahra plz tell me before 30August

message 30: by Alicia (last edited Aug 28, 2015 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alicia Kohler I just finished reading this book. Tiffany is one of the most relatable characters I have been exposed to in a while. Her struggle with accepting her personal loss, and feeling tormented when she did not react in the manner that was expected of her was touching. She was able to put aside her personal feelings for her brother and do what needed to be done to protect her family. The book is whimsical and deals with very important topics in manner that is appropriate for a young reader. Throughout the book Tiffany is the quintessential teenager, but steps up when necessary and develops very well throughout the book into a full character. Loved this and will likely read it again.

message 31: by Skip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skip Wonderful review.

Candice Horton Read this book about 5 years ago and its still in my top 5 beautifully written hilarious with written accents to rival Robert burns truely epic!!!

message 33: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Lovely review. I'd like to give a copy of this book to my nieces when they start reading on their own.

message 34: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Jackson I would like to buy this for my husband as he loves Patrick's books and will likely be interested in what Patrick reads but I'm wondering if Pratchett's books need to be read in order as there are many that come before this?

Howard It is awesome along with the rest of his books

Donald Shepherd Tina, a late response, but it is very standalone. There is a cameo appearance of a couple of established characters right at the end but they stand on their own feet in the context of the story.

Pedro Baptista - now this is a review! just great!

Darla What a wonderful, heartfelt review. I enjoyed this book immensely!

message 39: by Lorna (new) - added it

Lorna Vivi i loved this book when i first read it and im planning on buying it as a christmas present for my niece 😊 i think its a great book for children, funny, smart and a strong female heroine. plus who can forget the wee free men who will charm any reader

Анатоля  Марскилова This is definitely a wonderful book, but the accents of the Wee Free Men made it nearly impossible to read. I understand that the accents were there to “enrich the text,” but they gave me a headache. 😬

Elaan You have inspired me to get this book for my niece!