Jo's Reviews > Scorch

Scorch by Gina Damico

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal

I've been looking forward to reading this book for quite a while. I loved the first book in the series (Croak), and couldn't wait to get my hands on book two.

It seems too harsh to say I'm disappointed in it. I'm not. Not really. I enjoyed the story, loved the characters, and completely lost myself in the world. But...

But the ending left me cold. Rather, it didn't feel like there was an ending. The book was, in essence, one long, convoluted, and entertaining chase scene. And so when the ending rolled around, I expected the chasing to come to an end and a confrontation to occur.

And it did. But not in a satisfying way. The confrontation felt contrived to set up book three, rather than to complete the narrative arc of book two. And it was so fast-paced and confusing, that I'm not sure I even understand what happened in the last fifteen pages.

But those are personal peeves. And you'll note I gave the book four stars. I still enjoyed it immensely. I love Damico's writing style, enjoy hurling myself bodily into the world she's created, and will be counting down the days until the next book in the series is released.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.

May 14, 2013 – Started Reading