Shravanthi's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

American Gods:

Madness. That’s what this book is. I find this book close to Alice in Wonderland in terms of the twists, turns and wacky people that one cannot even begin to imagine. With all glory to the Mad Hatter, this book is not for children.

The book starts with Shadow’s release from jail. He goes on to become Mr. Wednesday’s handyman (without any choice though). It’s a crazy world out there, where antediluvian Gods battle against the younger, modern Gods, like the fat boy God of internet & the sexy Television goddess ‘Media’. The duo embarks on a journey to gather recruits for the oncoming battle. Shadow meets some interesting people on the way. The interplay between the Gods and Shadow is the crux of American Gods.(view spoiler)

Caught in the middle of the war,Shadow,our big lead guy is played like a pawn on the chessboard. Shadow steals the show with his unperturbed nature. I think it was Gaiman’s little misdirection trick to show Shadow as the pawn, when he is actually the King in the story. His rock-like calmness throughout is like the anchor to the ship in wild seas. It keeps the reader grounded, in times of complete mayhem. My favorite moment in the book was.. (view spoiler)

American Gods is a cross between ancient mythology and modernism; an idea so eccentric it can only germinate from a mind that is skewered & zany - Neil Gaiman – that’s a compliment!

I found it disappointing that there was not even a shred of humor in this morose novel. For me,personally, the lack of humor a big no-no. I have come across countless books, where humor can be incorporated even in somber situations. I would have liked to see that in American Gods. Apart from that, an exceptional book ! Don't question it, just go with it, once , twice or more if you have to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

Quotes Shravanthi Liked

Neil Gaiman
“I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not.

I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Beatles and Marilyn Monroe and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen - I believe that people are perfectable, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkled lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women.

I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo Woman is going to come back and kick everyone's ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state.

I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste.

I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we'll all be wiped out by the common cold like martians in War of the Worlds.

I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman.

I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumble bee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself.

I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck.

I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too.

I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system.

I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it.”

Neil Gaiman
“What I say is, a town isn’t a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it’s got a bookstore, it knows it’s not foolin’ a soul.”

Neil Gaiman
“Every hour wounds. The last one kills.”

Neil Gaiman
“The TV's the altar. I'm what people are sacrificing to.'
'What do they sacrifice?' asked Shadow.
'Their time, mostly,' said Lucy. 'Sometimes each other.”

Neil Gaiman
“I think I would rather be a man than a god. We don’t need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It’s what we do.”

May 14, 2013 – Shelved
May 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2014 – Started Reading
October 4, 2014 –
17.0% "So far so good..."
October 9, 2014 –
page 128
20.16% "It's getting interesting..."
October 9, 2014 –
page 128
20.16% "It's getting interesting.."
October 22, 2014 –
page 169
November 2, 2014 –
page 226
December 21, 2014 –
page 360
56.69% "Omg omg omg!! What a huge twist...so sad of Mr.Wednesday...and just when I was beginning to like him :-(:'("
December 24, 2014 – Finished Reading