Rane's Reviews > Tempt Me at Twilight

1987431
Jun 28, 2009

bookshelves: victorian-era
Recommended for: Fans of LK's Devil In Winter

Poppy Hathaway longs for a normal life, although she loves her very unconventional family, she wants something more stable and safe, when she falls in love with a man she thinks can bring her happiness, is heartbroken when he turns her away for his title which leads her into scandal and the arms of …
Harry Rutledge, who is a well-known ruthless hotel owner, known to always gets what he wants “always” and when he lays eyes on Poppy he knows he must have her at any cost but when they marry they find they must learn to trust and break down their defenses to find the love their both have always seek…

As I started to read this, I was quickly drawn into the story, with deep shades of LK’s Devil of Winter written all over it. If anyone could turn a villain into a beloved hero, LK could and she does it with true style and grace with Harry.

Poppy is the only “normal” Hathaway, coming across as the kind caregiver of the family with a heart full of love and kindness. At first she comes across as narrow-minded in her views of love and what happiness is. She kept reaching for a safe haven in someone. She comes from her shelter when she’s heartbroken by her first love and then has to learn to trust as she falls in love with Harry. Because of her desire to want love and a safe marriage, Poppy was blinded by her first love and his faults. Harry opens her eyes to a bigger and better world, where she can have so much more.

Harry was a complex puzzle, a mechanical genius and ruthless hotel owner; he shows many sides, and keeping you guessing whom the real Harry is. I don’t think Harry even knew whom is really was. Always thinking and trying to have everything in his life in order, when things don’t go the way he wants he relies on the cold part of his mind to find a way to fix it or make it his.
I really loved Harry, when he wanted something he took it with both hands by hook or crook. Did I agree with what he did was right? I do. He knew Poppy’s first love didn’t have the balls to take Poppy and if he really loved her and wanted her, he would risk it all. Poppy’s first love was given many chances, but he didn’t take it and became a wimpy baby because he missed his chance.
Harry was drawn to Poppy due to her brightest and kindness something he lacked in his own life, and as his defenses are torn down, he starts to move away from his past hurts, he becomes his true self and finds his heart along the way.

The love scenes are few and far between, but in LK fashion are built up to and she doesn’t disappoint, as they are pretty hot and steamy.

The Hathaway clan is still pretty pronounced through the story as Poppy turns to her family for advice and help. I loved the Hathaways and how tight knit they are and how they accept Harry into the family (even giving him some much needed advice along the way)

I felt what brought an overall awesome story down, what the sudden filler toward the end. If LK wanted a bigger word count, I feel leaving it out would have been better.
Also the cliffhanger, what was that?! It didn’t feel like LK at all, almost like she was forced to add this. I really didn’t care for it as it brought the overall story down. I wouldn’t have minded a seek peek into the next book, but a cliffhanger was just plain stupid IMO.

Overall: an wonderful story, with great leads but could have done without the sudden filler and cliffhanger

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempt Me at Twilight.

04/25/2016 marked as: read

Rane Pre-Ordered from The Book Depository

Karen I'm looking forward to this one too. Wish there was a way to convince LK to write books 24/7...two per year is NOT enough!

Rane Karen wrote: "I'm looking forward to this one too. Wish there was a way to convince LK to write books 24/7...two per year is NOT enough! "

*LOL* agree, but I rather her take her time and write an awesome book then a blah book ;D

Karen True!

Beanbag Love Agree completely. Great review!

I loved Harry and Poppy together and I like the Hathaways more and more each book. I really thought that ending sequence made almost no sense. It was obviously plugged in -- at least it looked like it.

Really looking forward to the next one, though.

Dina "If there was a man out there as hot as Harry who wanted me as much as Harry wanted Poppy- I tie myself up and tell him “take me away”..."

LOL, I didn't know you were into bondage, Rane. Great review! I heard about the cliffhanger in other reviews, and I've decided to wait and get this book only when the next one is released.

Rane Beanbag wrote: "Agree completely. Great review!

Rane Dina wrote: ""If there was a man out there as hot as Harry who wanted me as much as Harry wanted Poppy- I tie myself up and tell him “take me away”..."

LOL, I didn't know you were into bondage, Rane. Great rev..."

If it's a hottie like Haryy I may be ;D ;D

Yeah, it may be worth the wait for the next book...instead of being left with the dumb cliffhanger..

Beanbag Love Rane wrote: "Thanks Bean, I hope this is the only time she does this cause it just didnt seem to fit the story.
I really looking forward to Leo's story (it be pretty cute to see Jake and Bea end up as a couple ;D) "

So you think they'll end up together? I'd love to see it. He's such a sweetie. And so loyal. I really like the way she was developed in this book. I think they'd make a good couple.

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Beanbag wrote: "Rane wrote: "Thanks Bean, I hope this is the only time she does this cause it just didnt seem to fit the story.

I think he be a great "tamer" for Bea (wishful thinking on my part)

message 11: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Great review Rane! Why do I just let these books build up on my TBR when I'm such a Kleypas fan overall?!! Who knows! I need to just read them already! :)
K.

message 12: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae LOVE LISA KLEYPAS! Does the woman write a bad book? I don't think she does! I think I've loved every one that she has written.
Great review, Rane:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Awesome review, Rane. Harry sounds like my type of hero.

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane K. wrote: "Great review Rane! Why do I just let these books build up on my TBR when I'm such a Kleypas fan overall?!! Who knows! I need to just read them already! :)
K.
"

Thank you K.!
read.the.Lk.books ;D

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Daisiemae wrote: "LOVE LISA KLEYPAS! Does the woman write a bad book? I don't think she does! I think I've loved every one that she has written.
Great review, Rane:)"

Thank you Daisiemae!
Agree, but I felt the add-ons + cliffhanger wasn't her doing, it didn't feel like something she would do...

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Awesome review, Rane. Harry sounds like my type of hero."

Thank you Danielle!
Harry is Awesome! I love him to bits!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

message 18: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Rane! Aaaah, you've already read this?? I'm so jealous!

message 19: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane audball wrote: "Great review, Rane! I think I'm going to wait to read this till Leo's story is released though. I can't take cliff hangers that well. LOL"

yeah you and me both (at least am looking forward to Leo's story...)

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Angelc wrote: "Great review, Rane! Aaaah, you've already read this?? I'm so jealous!"

Thanks Angelc
;D hehe need to get yourself a copy! (or wait because it has one nasty cliffhanger at the end >P)

message 21: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Oh no about the cliffhanger!! She doesn't have another historical coming out for awhile, does she??

message 22: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Angelc wrote: "Oh no about the cliffhanger!! She doesn't have another historical coming out for awhile, does she??"

The next historical will be in the summer of 2010 which will be Leo's story. (not "to long" of a wait)

message 23: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Long enough, haha! Maybe i should wait a little while at least :)

Fani *loves angst* Great review Rane! But I think I'll read this series, when it's completed. Won't have to worry about cliffhangers then:)

message 25: by seton (new)

seton I'm gonna be like audball and Fani and read this next yr b/c of the cliffhanger :-)

message 26: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Great review Rane! I've been holding off on finishing this series, but the comparison to Devil in Winter has me hooked now. Awesome! :)

Ronyell Awesome review Rane!!

message 28: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Awesome review, Rane. :))