Jenny Q's Reviews > HerStory: Fiction Honoring Women's History Month

HerStory by Tara Chevrestt

bookshelves: review-copy

This is a great collection of thirty stories featuring strong women, both real and imagined, from Ancient Rome all the way up to the present day, and taking place in America, England, Wales, Germany, Turkey, Japan, and Cambodia. They are diverse in storytelling and in style and voice too, and the characters range from mothers and housewives to nurses, activists, society gals, and even a terrorist, and range from sweet to melancholy to fierce and triumphant.

I can't touch on all of the stories here, but I do want to mention my favorites from the collection: A mother stoically sends her husband and older sons off to war in the fight for Welsh independence in the twelfth century in "The Legend Rises." A young woman illegally sold into indentured servitude makes a break for freedom and finds romance along the way in "Riverboat Queen." There's a pair of really good Civil War stories: In "An Uncivil War," a nurse takes matters into her own hands to prove her worth on the battlefield, and in "Pick a Side," a brave young miss in side-switching West Virginia becomes a message carrier for the cause. They are followed by the excellent "In the Company of Spirits," featuring a poignant and intimate view of a controversial first lady. There are also stories of women's rights and civil rights, including a sweet one from Tara inspired by a vintage postcard, "From You No." Tara also penned the powerful "No Mas," about Puerto Rican rebel Lolita Lebron.

I really enjoyed spending an evening with these stories. Of course, I enjoyed some better than others, but as a collection I think it's very strong--well written, evocative, and entertaining. It has enough variety to offer something for everyone, yet all of the stories remain very true to the theme of the collection. Highly recommended for fans of historical fiction and women's fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read HerStory.

May 13, 2013 – Started Reading