C.G. Drews's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2014, read-2014, young-adult, thriller-crime, paranormal, audio-books, ya-male-narrators, reread, read-2020
Read 2 times. Last read May 8, 2020 to May 11, 2020.

[read 2 | May 2020]
Rereading this made me so happy I don't even know how to properly explain the satisfied warmth covering my whole soul right now. It had been six years! SIX years!! I freaking love Holly Black; I love her style that's both simple but worked with raw depth, with characters who leap off the page in just a few lines, and protagonists you honestly would die for despite them being pretty as the devil and twice as clever. Honestly love that. Keep it up Cassel, sweetie, you're doing your best.

Teen con artists. Crime families. Morally grey plotlines. Twisty finales and tricky mind games. Fractious brotherly relationships. Magic but also highschool and homework. It's just all so deliciously, wickedly good. I wish this one could make a comeback after the hype of The Cruel Prince.

(this old review is cringely flaily but I leave it there because baby!Fury really loved freaking out. 😂)

[read 1 | November 2014]
This is literally the best and most underrated book ever! I feel like my new life goal is going to be shouting about this book from the rooftops. IT IS THAT GOOD. It's mind-numbingly good. It has some of the best plot twists and character development. It's basically Supernatural meets the mafia.

Crime...ohhh I love crime books.It's like a family business, being a worker. You get born a curseworker though, so Cassel, who is the youngest of a worker family is a non-worker and that's...kind of hard for him. His big brothers are deep into the family work for crime bosses. They work for Zackeroff. Cons. Crimes. Murder. Blood money.

Cassel is one of my favourite characters of all time now. He's a con man (although to be honest, he sucks at lying) and he's got a smart-mouth and he's absolutely awesome. He's 99% flawed. But he loves his family. No matter how screwed up his family is. Which is a lot considering his mother's in jail, his brothers work for a crime lord, and his dad is dead.

I love books about family and warped families. With Cassel's brothers so criminal and his mother in jail and yet Cassel still put them first. Also Cassel spends a lot of time with his Grandfather, who's a death-worker. I loved that too. The grandpa cared and loved Cassel, but didn't absolutely smother him. I LOVE THE ENDING THOUGH. Family means so so much...but what do you do when your family does things you can't forgive?

There are actually a few friends too. Not a lot, because Cassel doesn't do friends (he has a Big Bad Secret hanging over his life). But I loved Sam and Danika. They were perfection, just in the story enough to make it pop with brilliance but yet not having to be Cassel's #1 concern.

CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT THE INSANELY GOOD PLOT TWISTS?!! I so would die happy if I ever wrote even a quarter as well as this. This is insanely awesome. Everything was perfectly explained and Holly Black brought us into this world with no excessive info-dumping and no utter confusion. I love it I love it I love it.

(view spoiler)

It goes on my shelf of Favourites. Perfection, pure perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Holly Black
“Clever as the Devil and twice as pretty.”
Holly Black, White Cat

May 12, 2013 – Shelved
May 12, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 13, 2014 – Started Reading
November 16, 2014 –
30.0% "I seriously like this book. CONS, PEOPLES, CONS. It's like heists and cons with magic. *hugs book and all villainy*"
November 17, 2014 –
70.0% "This is like Supernatural meets the Mafia. I love it."
November 19, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
May 8, 2020 – Started Reading
May 8, 2020 –
page 100
31.25% "I haven't read this in...6 years. My slytherin con sons 😭 I missed you"
May 9, 2020 –
page 150
46.88% "the best part is how applicable this book is for NOW. everyone wears gloves, no touching 😌social distancing pls. (I mean, this is for magic curses instead of covid. But still.)"
May 11, 2020 – Shelved as: reread
May 11, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
May 11, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Kezia GAH I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU DISCOVERED IT. THE SECOND BOOK IS ALSO GREAT!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly SUPERNATURAL MEETS THE MAFIA. OMG. WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS YETTTTT? D:

C.G. Drews @Kezia: I JUST FINISHED THE SECOND BOOK AND JAFSKLDFAS NEW FAVOURITE SERIES.

@Kimberly: OMG YOU NEED TO READ THIS. NO REGRETS. HONEST. GO FOR IT. IT IS AMAZING.

Veronika I'm glad you enjoyed this! The second book is the VERY BEST of the trilogy but the third wasn't bad either. Looking forward to your opinion! :)

C.G. Drews I finished the second book!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH TOO. (Though I actually preferred White Cat by like....a teeny tiny bit. XD) I seriously need the third though. omg. PANIC STATIONS.

E.V. Fairfall Great review

Lauren Stoolfire I love this series so much! It's perfect for fans of Supernatural! Perfect use of gifs by the way. :)

Abby oh my gosh, I love this book so much! This and the Splintered trilogy are some of my favorite books!! There is simply one thing I disagree on....I love cats, not hate them. Other then that, I think its awesome u love this book as much as I do! :)

Fiona✨ Love your review!!
This book is just so so good.
I agree with you on everything, including the spoiler section!! I already ordered the second one!

Maryam Violence in books is so pure and beautiful and I just live for Lila cause she is so mean but not in a mean way and I can't even.

message 11: by Bara (new)

Bara White cat Holly Black - I konw it's childish but the combination of the title and the author's name makes me giggle :3