C.G. Drews's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

May 12, 2013

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2014, read-2014, young-adult, thriller-crime, paranormal, audio-books, ya-male-narrators

THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST AND MOST UNDERRATED BOOK I HAVE EVER EVER READ. I feel like my new life goal is going to be shouting about this book from the rooftops. IT IS THAT GOOD. It's mind-numbingly good. lt has some of the best plot twists and character development and...
description

It's Supernatural meets the mafia. It is. You don't need me to say anymore. THAT ALONE SHOULD SELL YOU.
description

Crime...ohhhh my gosh I love crime. (Yes that sounds bad. But I love crime in books. We good? Okay. We're good.) It's like a family business, being a worker. You get born a curseworker though, so Cassel, who is the youngest of a COMPLETE worker family is a non-worker and that's...kind of hard for him. His big brothers are deep into the family work for crime bosses. They work for Zackeroff. (Hey, I listened to it on audio, so nooooo clue how any of the spellings go. Just bear with me.) Cons. Crimes. Murder. Blood money. LIKE WHY HASN'T EVERYONE READ THIS YET????

Cassel is one of my favourite characters of all time now. He's a con man (although to be hoenst, he sucks at lying. I'm not an active con-person but no one ever knows I'm lying unless I say so...and, um, everyone could always tell when Cassel was lying) and he's got a smart-mouth and he's absolutely awesome. He's 99% flawed. But he loves his family. No matter how screwed up his family is. (Which is a lot considering his mother's in jail, his brothers work for a crime lord, and his dad is dead.)

There are definitely cats in this book. I hate cats. But I survived. At first I thought the cats in the beginning were kind of weird. BUT OMG IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Family. That's all I can say. FAMILY. I love books about family and warped families win the cherry cheesecake for sure. With Cassel's brothers so criminal and his mother in jail and yet Cassel still put them first?! Also Cassel spends a lot of time with his Grandfather, who's a death-worker. I loved that too. The grandpa cared and loved Cassel, but didn't absolutely smother him. I LOVE THE ENDING THOUGH. Family means so so much...but what do you do when your family does things you can't...you can't....just no.
description

The crime side? It wasn't as prominent as I hoped, but Cassel ran a lot of cons, first at his school, and then a MASSIVELY clever one at the end. He's a seriously good con-man. Another reason to love him, yup.

There are actually a few friends too! Not a lot, because Cassel doesn't do friends (he has a Big Bad Secret hanging over his life). But I loved Sam and Danika. They were perfection, just in the story enough to make it pop with brilliance but yet not having to be Cassel's #1 concern.

CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT THE INSANELY GOOD PLOT TWISTS?!! Nearly everything had me screeching. I predicted a few of the twists just by thinking what I'd do (as a writer) if this was my story. And hold those holy potatoes again, but I so would die happy if I ever wrote even a quarter as well as this. This is insanely awesome. Everything was perfectly explained and Holly Black brought us into this world with no excessive info-dumping and no utter confusion. I love it I love it I love it.
description

SPOILER SECTION BECAUSE I NEED TO FLAIL. BUT DON'T OPEN THIS UNLESS YOU'VE READ IT OR I'LL COME AFTER YOU AND GLARE:
(view spoiler)

GO READ THIS. I can't...I don't even have anything more to say. YOU MUST READ IT AND FLAIL WITH ME. It goes on my shelf of Favouritest-Books-Ever. Perfection, pure perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.

May 12, 2013 – Shelved
May 12, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 13, 2014 – Started Reading
November 16, 2014 –
30.0% "I seriously like this book. CONS, PEOPLES, CONS. It's like heists and cons with magic. *hugs book and all villainy*"
November 17, 2014 –
70.0% "This is like Supernatural meets the Mafia. I love it."
November 19, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 19, 2014 – Finished Reading
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-books
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Kezia GAH I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU DISCOVERED IT. THE SECOND BOOK IS ALSO GREAT!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly SUPERNATURAL MEETS THE MAFIA. OMG. WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS YETTTTT? D:

C.G. Drews @Kezia: I JUST FINISHED THE SECOND BOOK AND JAFSKLDFAS NEW FAVOURITE SERIES.

@Kimberly: OMG YOU NEED TO READ THIS. NO REGRETS. HONEST. GO FOR IT. IT IS AMAZING.

Veronika I'm glad you enjoyed this! The second book is the VERY BEST of the trilogy but the third wasn't bad either. Looking forward to your opinion! :)

C.G. Drews I finished the second book!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH TOO. (Though I actually preferred White Cat by like....a teeny tiny bit. XD) I seriously need the third though. omg. PANIC STATIONS.

E.V. Fairfall Great review

Lauren Stoolfire I love this series so much! It's perfect for fans of Supernatural! Perfect use of gifs by the way. :)

Abby oh my gosh, I love this book so much! This and the Splintered trilogy are some of my favorite books!! There is simply one thing I disagree on....I love cats, not hate them. Other then that, I think its awesome u love this book as much as I do! :)

Fiona✨ Love your review!!
This book is just so so good.
I agree with you on everything, including the spoiler section!! I already ordered the second one!

Maryam Violence in books is so pure and beautiful and I just live for Lila cause she is so mean but not in a mean way and I can't even.