Kathie (katmom)'s Reviews > Stone Guardian

Stone Guardian by Danielle Monsch

I've read several of Danielle Monsch's books, and loved them. When I saw this cover, I knew that I had to have it. There's just something about it that really grabbed me. I begged for an ARC and was thrilled to get it.

Stone Guardian pulled me in from the first page. It opens with on-the-edge-of-your-seat action, then barely gives you time to breathe as the story unfolded. It was great!

Terak is a gargoyle. He's the leader of the gargoyle clan. All alpha male...with wings, a tail and a profile to swoon over. When he curves his wings around Larissa, it gave me the warm fuzzies. And gave Larissa some, too.

He's not sure why the Oracle told him she was important, but she's been right about things too often for him to disregard her warning. As he watches over her from afar, he is entranced by Larissa, by her kind heart, and her strength of spirit. When he finally meets her, after the zombies tried to capture her, he falls hard.

Larissa hasn't had anything to do with the other races that have come to our Realm on the day she was born. It makes her dad, who was there when the great collision happened, nuts when anyone mentions the others. So she just doesn't, because she's a good girl. But there's something about Terak that pulls her toward him and she doesn't think it's just because he rescued her. He's warm and she feels safe with him. Of course, she believes that the zombie attack was rather random and she really doesn't need a bodyguard, right? She only agrees to it after she puts a deadline on the whole operation, and as long as the one female gargoyle is never one of those to watch over her. SHE is a horrible entity, no matter what her designation may be.

The mystery of who is after Larissa, and the supporting cast trying to keep her safe (or catch her), was a nice twisty little path.

There's a lot of world building here and I thought the information was smoothly integrated into the story. If you've read many of my reviews, you know that I hate "info dumping" and I was glad to not see that here.

I asked if there was a cliff hanger, and was pleased when the author told me that this is the start to a series, but there's no cliffie to contend with and some threads that will follow through in the next bookS. Whew...and, thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing more of Fallon (they call her Dragon Slayer), Laire, and Wulver. And Reign? Yeah...scary!

FIVE BOOKMARKS!
I definitely need more of these characters.

*Thank you, Danielle Monsch, for the ARC!

This review can also be seen at:

www.firstpagetothelast.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Guardian.

May 11, 2013 – Shelved
May 11, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 27, 2013 – Started Reading
June 29, 2013 –
4.0% "Wow, talk about starting with a BANG! What a start...!"
July 1, 2013 –
12.0% "I love his wings."
July 2, 2013 –
30.0% "Holy crow...what a shocker!"
July 2, 2013 –
61.0% "My kindle may have just melted a bit on the edges..."
July 3, 2013 –
100.0% "DONE! And WOWZA...review to follow here and at www.firstpagetothelast.com"
July 3, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 5, 2013 –
100.0% "My review is live at www.firstpagetothelast.com and will be here tomorrow. FIVE BOOKMARKS for sure!"

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kathie (katmom) Got the ARC! Can hardly wait to read it!