Jamie's Reviews > Gated

Gated by Amy Christine Parker

May 10, 2013

liked it

DISCLAIMER: I received Gated as a publisher ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This review can also be found at The Title Page

Rating: 3 Stars

Gated is a story of Lyla, a girl who was raised in a community, that (unbeknownst to her) is actually a cult. Since she was 5, she has been trained to protect herself, be a contributing part of the community, and was sworn to secrecy from the outside world.

This all changes when she meets Cody.

Picking up this novel, I was a bit weary because my type of read is normally of the sci-fi genre. I'm not really into anything that doesn't involve magic, or dragons, or something along those lines. This book was very refreshing because, while it was all possible in the real world, it was still an extremely entertaining read.

One thing this book lacked was fitting character development.

Lyla's character is bold and open minded. It's a bit out of place, seeing as she has been raised in this community where they are essentially brainwashed their entire lives. It would make more sense for an outsider to have the thoughts and feelings she does, or even one of the adults who had entered the community at an older age.

Cody is sweet, but his character seemed a bit unnecessary. I felt like he was only in the novel to introduce the standard love triangle.

Pioneer just didn't fit the bill. He was the leader of the cult, which (by definition) needs to have a religious or spiritual basis. I didn't get this feeling from Pioneer. All I got from him was some guy who was really good at manipulating people who are vulnerable and wants to be in charge of a bunch of people.

(view spoiler)

The plot was interesting, a cult-raised youth coming to terms with the outside world. It kind of reminded me of the TV show Breaking Amish. I liked the whole Lyla-coming-into-herself plot more than the Pioneer-murdering-everyone plot.

I do recommend the book for anyone who is willing to go into it with an open mind. There are some large character flaws, but I think it's worth the read for the plot and setup alone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gated.

May 10, 2013 – Shelved
May 10, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 20, 2013 – Started Reading
May 28, 2013 –
44.0% "A few spelling errors... also some missing details that make it hard to follow the story (i.e. how many people are in the community, etc.)"
May 29, 2013 –
95.0% "I've liked the book thus far, but now it's turning into a hero-villan type thing and I'm not agreeing with it.\n Pioneer is now telling Lyla his entire plan... like a typical villian. And he is not acting like a cult leader. Cult leaders believe what they say is true, they don't plot a mass suicide because they feel like killing people. This is less of a cult novel and more of a murder novel."
May 29, 2013 – Finished Reading