5inabus's Reviews > Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

F 50x66
May 09, 2013

bookshelves: mum-and-kids-read-aloud, kids-paperback-fiction, read-aloud, review-pending

I cannot love this book any harder if I tried. If I somehow managed to laminate myself inside the front cover, it still would not be close enough. This is the second time I've read it and I can't believe how perfect it still is. Maybe it's getting better with (my own) age. Kate DiCamillo is a genius, she is subtle, heartfelt, gripping and her words will bowl you over with their simplicity.

You would not think that you could read aloud a book to a 6 year old that explores guilt, abandonment, grief, alcoholism and longing and have them understand a single word of it. Hell, you would have to ask yourself whether it would even be appropriate. And yet somehow DiCamillo gets away with it. More than that, she makes an achingly wonderful tribute to the beauty and triumph of human - and DOG - relationships, which, even though no substitute for the answers to all these unresolvable questions in life, can make the not knowing bearable.

How's this scene:

"You always give up!" I shouted. "You're always pulling your head inside your stupid old turtle shell. I bet you didn't even go out looking for my mama when she left. I bet you just let her run off, too."
"Baby," the preacher said. "I couldn't stop her. I tried. Don't you think I wanted to her to stay, too? Don't you think I miss her every day?" He spread his arms out wide and then dropped them to his side. "I tried," he said. "I tried." Then he did something I couldn't believe.
He started to cry."

I dare you to read this book and not be affected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Winn-Dixie.

May 9, 2013 – Started Reading
May 9, 2013 – Shelved
June 4, 2013 – Shelved as: mum-and-kids-read-aloud
June 4, 2013 – Shelved as: kids-paperback-fiction
June 4, 2013 – Shelved as: read-aloud
June 4, 2013 – Shelved as: review-pending
June 4, 2013 – Finished Reading

Angie Gorgeous book!

5inabus oh, absolutely! It's the second time through for me but first for my little girl. She's seen the movie though which is helping her a lot. Such an easy and enjoyable book to read. Also love Edward Tulane... that one made me cry

MountainShelby I absolutely loved the film.