just.one.more.paige's Reviews > The Other Typist

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell

bookshelves: my-favorites

Boy does this author have a voice! The first couple pages made me nervous because the whole thing was first person narrative, not a lot of dialogue. I was afraid it might be dry. WRONG. Beautifully developed characters, even the minor ones. A plot that was killer (literally!). So many small details that came into play continuously and she did a great job making the forshadowing clear but at the same time not too obvious. The play between Rose and Odalie was superb, their relationship deliciously toxic. The unreliable narrator was played perfectly. And even though you saw the end coming, you didn't see it coming! What twists and turns! And in the end, you aren't sure of what you though you were. What actually happened and who actually did it? The interplay was so great it could go either way and you aren't sure. And any holes are easily explained away through the narrator's unreliableness and complete worship of Odalie. I loved the indecision and confusion the ending leaves you with...it's a perfect way to wrap up a book like this one. I loved the whole thing. Plus, the author did a great job bringing such a vibrant time in history to life...she writes at the end it was her attempt at a homage to Gatsby and damn did she pull it off.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Typist.

May 9, 2013 – Shelved