Kristalia 's Reviews > Sempre

Sempre by J.M. Darhower

Final rating: 5/5 stars

“How about we just be Haven and Carmine?” she suggested. “We don’t know the ending, but we can always hope for the best.”
“I like that,” he said. “Besides, there’s a reason we don’t know how the story ends.”
“Why?”
“Because it doesn’t.”

✍ ☘ ❦ ☕ ❂ ✄ ☸ ⚡ ⚓ ☁ ☂ ✎ ✍ ☘ ❦ ☕ ❂ ✄ ☸ ⚡ ⚓ ☁ ☂ ✎ ☸ ⚡ ⚓

“Ti amo, mia bella ragazza. Per sempre.”
“Sempre?” she asked.
Cracking a smile, he brushed his pointer finger softly across her lips. “Always and forever.”

✍ ☘ ❦ ☕ ❂ ✄ ☸ ⚡ ⚓ ☁ ☂ ✎ ✍ ☘ ❦ ☕ ❂ ✄ ☸ ⚡ ⚓ ☁ ☂ ✎ ☸ ⚡ ⚓

WOW. FANTASTIC, FABULOUS, CAPTIVATING, ICOULDNTSTOPREADING TYPE OF A STORY!!!! I am serious, whole time i was like...

MY INNER SELF: Stop reading now! You have your final exam tomorrow!
ME: But i can't! I don't wanna stop!
MY INNER SELF: But you must, you will fail!
ME: I won't fail, even though i have no idea what i just read in the whole freaking exam book.
MY INNER SELF: Then what are you waiting for?
ME: Fine. *goes to study*
20 minutes later...
SEMPRE: read meeeeeeee...read meeeee...you wanna know what happens next!!!!!!! Look, in your exam book, look what i found:

ME:
WTF!!!!!!!!!!
*falls out of trans* Please, stop, i am trying to learn....
3 hours later...
MY INNER SELF: ok, you can read now.
ME: HELL YEAH!!!!
MY INNER SELF: for 20 minutes....
ME: I hate myself...
the next day
ME: SEE I PASSED THE EXAM WITH 9 OF 10, CAN I FINISH THE BOOK NOW.
MY INNER SELF: HELL YEAH.
ME: vaffanculo, my inner self :(
THE END

Anyway, now that i finished retelling my imaginary conversation with myself, lemme tell you what i think of this book...

I loved it - and its the type of the book i would reread again and again (which i kind of did when i finished the book.. i started from the beginning).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Some things in life only happen once, the memories of them lasting forever. they're moments that alter you, turning you into a person you never thought you'd become, but someone you were always destined to be.”

This story is not entirely pretty - insert mafia, family business and slavery and you know what to expect. But it's also a story of freedom and choices, of love and rivalry, of two broken teenagers...

"They were two broken kids, desperate to be whole again, struggling to find balance in a world out of their control. What's black and white and red all over? Carmine was, Haven thought. A soul savagely ripped in half, bleeding out for all to see. The ying and yang, the good and evil, the love and pain all at odds with each other. Two sides, two vastly different worlds, but someday they’d merge as one. They had to."

They try to understand each other... Haven and Carmine are born in different worlds, but they are the same inside... She was raised as a modern slave, he was raised as a mafia prince... But they are more alike then they thought they were...

But, this is not only a love story - danger is around the corner... And there is no escape.

CHARACTERS :

Haven :

He smiled. She didn’t mind his company. “Do you wanna talk about what happened?”
“There’s nothing to talk about. I survived. That’s what I do. I’ll keep surviving until I don’t survive anymore.”
“So, you're saying you're a survivor?”

Born as a slave, and raised as one, she knows the truth - She will never be free. Being abused, beaten and when finally threatened to be killed - she tries to escape...where she utterly fails. But, when Dr. Vincent DeMarco, who visited her 'master' takes her away, she finds out that there is more to life than she ever thought...

“Do we need to be saved?”
“Don't we always?”

Haven is scared and afraid of the new life she is given... She tries to understand where she fits in the 'family' that now she belongs to. Haven thinks that she just changed masters and nothing else. She expects nothing, but is given more than she could hope for. Carmine. Dr. DeMarco's trouble maker son, the one who understands her more than anyone else.

“My mom used to talk about fate all the time, and I think you’re it… you’re my fate. You were brought to me for a reason, for us to save each other. Because you weren’t the only one needing saved, Haven. I was drowning, and you rescued me.”

I understood Haven... it's not easy when your life changes drastically and when your whole life is controlled by other people. So i found her reactions and feelings quite reasonable... I loved her, she tried her best, even when it was hard to cope with.

Carmine :

“But then she happened. The girl who had never been able to call her life her own taught a boy who had the world at his fingertips exactly what it meant to live. He wasn’t alone anymore.”

Carmine... broken inside... hell of a teenager outside... Trouble maker, womanizer, quite rude, reckless, likes to get in fights and everything else that follows the reputation of "bad boy".

But, Heaven changes him, as much as he changes her. She balances him out perfectly, and he dropped his every act, every anger he had toward world just to be the man he thought she would want him to be...

“Tell me, Mr. DeMarco. What’s love to you?”
[…]
He glared at his teacher. “I think it’s ridiculous you’re even trying to define it like it’s something material you can just go find if you want it. People use the word too loosely as it is. They say they love this and they love that, when they don’t. They just like the shi— uh, stuff. Love is something that changes you, and if you really loved all the crap you say you love, you’d never know who you were because you’d constantly be changing. Once you love, you love forever. You can’t help it.”

i must say, i loved him quite a lot (because he never (view spoiler)) and i love him because even though he was trouble and walking disaster, he was still a good man on the inside. He just need someone to understand him.

Other characters :

They were fabulous. Deep, and well characterized. I love Vincent, Celia and Corrado,Nicholas, Dominic and even Maura and Haven's mother...they were fantastic characters.

Especially Vincent...i underestimated him in the beginning, i thought of him as evil SOB but he was someone else entirely. I loved him in the end.

And Corrado and Celia were great as well. I was impressed and shocked of what Corrado did near the end, to protect his own...

And Nicholas... he was understimated too...by me and by everyone else. And his jokes were really funny :D

____________________________________________

OVERALL :
____________________________________________

I highly recommend it... It's funny, heartbreaking, lovely, beautiful and just awesome. It's a story i wont forget for a long time ;)
Why are you still here? go read it :D

“Sogni dóro, mia bella ragazza,” he mumbled, closing his eyes. "Sweet dreams my beautiful girl.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

EDIT:

Awesome news :D Sempre was bought by Simon & Schuster which means that it will be re-released November 4th as an ebook. With new stuff in it ♥
Now i can reread it again and with new experience (probably) :D
But if you have not read Sempre yet, better wait for re-release ;D

Sempre will be re-released November 4th as an ebook with revamped content. ACK! Don't worry, those who already own it... we've worked hard to make sure the plot isn't affected by the srs bsns editing we're undertaking on that bad boy, so your copy is just fine *pets self-published copy*. It'll just be more tightened and focused when it's re-released (and may or may not have some extended content of the sexual nature... but yeah... MOVING ON... DON'T KILL ME... I LOVE YOU).

-Taken from JM Darhower’s blog post

Can't wait ♥

This review can be found on my blog: infinity-of-time.blogspot.com also known as...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sempre.

May 9, 2013 – Shelved
May 9, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 9, 2013 – Shelved as: age-new-adult
May 9, 2013 – Shelved as: friends-love-like-it
May 9, 2013 – Shelved as: next-to-read
May 26, 2013 – Started Reading
May 26, 2013 –
0.0% "Wow, it's longer than i thought...Well, here i go ^_^\n "
May 26, 2013 –
15.0% "So...um...i think it's definitely hard to stop reading this one hahahaha xD \n ***\n In the meantime lemme say this:\n I pity poor Haven, because Vincent suddenly decided the best idea was to scare the s#it out of her... Not cool....not cool :(\n "
May 28, 2013 –
38.0% " “I can’t save the world, Haven, but I'll save you… even it’s the last thing I do.”\n “You’re already saving me,” she said. “More than you realize.”\n “Good,” he said, brushing her tears away, “but I’m gonna be issuing a Haven-inspired Emancipation Proclamation soon.”\n “So you’re Abraham Lincoln and your father’s Congress?”\n "
May 28, 2013 –
66.0% "Have you ever had a feeling when when you are obessed with something it always shows around you (like signs, names and such)... Well, i was studying for final exam when this happened: \n \n COINCIDENCE, I THINK NOT - THIS BOOK WAS FREAKING STALKING ME\n "
May 28, 2013 –
76.0% "\n NOOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY WERE SO CLOSE, WHYYYYYYYYY\n "
100.0% ""
May 28, 2013 – Shelved as: they-are-so-awesome-hot-and-stuff
May 28, 2013 – Finished Reading
May 29, 2013 – Shelved as: recommended-to-me

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* ENJOY!!!

Feminista I read this when it used to be a fanfiction :O

Kristalia it was o_O
really?
i loooooooooooove it ^_^

Duchess Nicole You're reading all of those books that I don't have time to get to....Jealousy, thy name is Nicole. Can't wait for your review!!

Kristalia Duchess Nicole wrote: "You're reading all of those books that I don't have time to get to....Jealousy, thy name is Nicole. Can't wait for your review!!"

hahahahahah ;D awwwwwww i cant wait for you to read it :D
review is up :D

Duchess Nicole Awesome review, Kristalia!! You have an inner goddess too?!?! Lol...I'm so glad to see YET ANOTHER glowing review.

Kristalia LOL, not inner goddess, just me ;D
(the reason lover :D)
thanx ♥

message 9: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Wow, your review is AMAZING! Makes me want to read this one even more than I already did! ;-D

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz Ahahah Brilliant review, just as usual :D
I love your inner self :D Pretty entertaining! XD

message 11: by Brittni (new)

Brittni Awesome Review Hun!!!

Feminista Great review Kris :-)

message 13: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey Fab review, Kris :)

message 14: by Basuhi (new)

Basuhi Awesome Review Kris !!!
And very long :D
Great Job as always <3

message 15: by Monisha (new)

Monisha Lovely review, K !!!

message 16: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn   Nicholson Great Review... One of my Favourite books.. xx

Kristalia Debra wrote: "Wow, your review is AMAZING! Makes me want to read this one even more than I already did! ;-D"

you should :D though it was announced that its getting published by Simon & Schuster and its gonna get reedited in some parts... sigh, i should have waited T_T but now it gives me a reason to reread it again :D

Kristalia Liz wrote: "Ahahah Brilliant review, just as usual :D
I love your inner self :D Pretty entertaining! XD"

thanx :D i wanted to slap that b*tch for making me learn T_T

Kristalia Brittni wrote: "Awesome Review Hun!!!"

NabK wrote: "Great review Kris :-)"

Hersheys wrote: "Fab review, Kris :)"

Basuhi wrote: "Awesome Review Kris !!!
And very long :D
Great Job as always <3"

Monisha wrote: "Lovely review, K !!!
<3"

Kristalia Dawn wrote: "Great Review... One of my Favourite books.. xx"

thank you Dawn :D definitely my fav too :D

Kristalia Naomi Soraya wrote: "Fabulous review for a fab book!!! Among my all time faves!!! Damnnnn, that Carmine got me all hot and bothered...again, because of your HOT casting ;-D"

hahahahahahahahahah it's mostly because of you that i read it (would you mind if i put you as a recommender ;D?)
hahahah i think he is perfect for Carmine ;D

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia HAHA I love your imaginary conversation. I literally have that everyday!... Except the devil on my shoulder usually wins out and I end up reading. Which also means I don't get the 9/10. LOL

message 23: by Joana (new) - added it

Joana Amazing and hilarious review hon :D I got to say that conversation with your inner self, I sure could relate to that,ahah.

Anyway, I need to bump this one to the top of my tbr list, that's for sure!

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Awesome, amazing and brilliant my crystal!!! So glad you loved it, managed to read and appease your inner self by excelling in your EXAM!

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! <3

Catarina Amazing review, darling!! :D
I'm so glad you liked it... it is a GREAT book!!

message 26: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie FABULOUS REVIEW <3

Kristalia Cynthia wrote: "HAHA I love your imaginary conversation. I literally have that everyday!... Except the devil on my shoulder usually wins out and I end up reading. Which also means I don't get the 9/10. LOL

But I loved this book too. I couldn't get it out of my head so I finished it in a day. Carmine and Haven were so adorable. "

Thanx ^_^
looooooooooool, i knooooooooow, i wasted three days because i wanted to read :D
hahaha thank god i actually managed to do both :D

yeah, they were ;D cant wait to read the sequel :D

Kristalia Joana wrote: "Amazing and hilarious review hon :D I got to say that conversation with your inner self, I sure could relate to that,ahah.

Anyway, I need to bump this one to the top of my tbr list, that's for sure!"

well yeah, it seems we all can :D

yeah, you should, but you should wait when it's republished in november :D (there will be hot scenes and stuff, or so i have heard :D)

Kristalia Georgia wrote: "Awesome, amazing and brilliant my crystal!!! So glad you loved it, managed to read and appease your inner self by excelling in your EXAM!

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! <3"

i love this one hehehe :D

Kristalia Catarina wrote: "Amazing review, darling!! :D
I'm so glad you liked it... it is a GREAT book!!"

yeah, it is a great book and thanx ♥

Kristalia Jessie wrote: "FABULOUS REVIEW <3"

thanx lovely :D

message 32: by Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie (last edited May 29, 2013 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie This book... I know I'm gonna love it! Great review hun!!!

Kristalia Christine The Romance Junkie wrote: "This book... I know I'm gonna love it! Great review hun!!!"

thanx Chris ;D oh i bet you will :D

Blacky *Romance Addict* Awesome review Kris, glad you loved it :)

Kristalia thanx hon ♥

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  wonderful review Kris <3 <3

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ wonderful review Kristalia!

Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦ Looooove your review! So glad that you passed your exam! haha

Kristalia ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "wonderful review Kristalia!"

Pavlina wrote: "wonderful review Kris <3 <3"

thank you, both of you :D i cant wait for you to read it ;D

Kristalia Bèbè wrote: "Looooove your review! So glad that you passed your exam! haha"

thanx hon ♥

Fathima Oh babe ! Fantastic review ! <3

Kristalia thanx hon ♥

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* AWESOME review, Kristalia! Just one thing, baby. Carmine is mine, are we clear? LOL x

Kristalia Thank you hon ♥
Oki hon, you can have him ^_^ i give him to you ^_^

Duchess Nicole Your reviews are epic! Wonderfully said, Kristalia! This is another must read for me.

Kristalia Thanx hon, i just hope you will love it :D

message 47: by xrysa (new) - added it

xrysa LOL if we fail the exams we'll blame the books ;)
Hahaha great review Kris!!

Kristalia hahahahah totally ;D
thanx ♥

Duchess Nicole I love that they petted their self pubbed copy...made me laugh, lolol!!!

Kristalia ahahaahahaha totally :D i laughed too :D