Emily May's Reviews > Saga, Vol. 1

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

bookshelves: graphic-novels, sci-fi, 2013
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana

There's an awful lot of crap in the graphic novel world, but it's strangely wonderful little gems like Saga, Vol. 1 that make rummaging through the rest of it feel completely worth the effort. This first volume is a bizarre, imaginative and very funny beginning to what I'm hoping will be a fantastic series. I've read bits here and there of Vaughan's work in the past but this is the first one to make me need to see what else he has in store for us. I honestly have no idea how he comes up with this stuff: soldiers turned star-crossed lovers from opposing armies are on the run from both sides with their newborn child. Not so crazy... until you add a bunch of ghosts, a huge cat that can tell when someone is lying, a royal family of robots... and somehow, amazingly, it all works.

The main characters - Alana and Marko - make an hilarious and lovable duo that also offer a realistic portrayal of a relationship between two young lovers with a baby they hadn't planned for. They love each other and their baby daughter. They bicker. They support each other. As different as they may first seem from us regular humans, they are also easy to relate to and I was surprised at how quickly I found myself invested in their story. Alana is tough, loves a good dose of sarcasm and snark, and she isn't afraid to say what she thinks or kick some ass if the occasion calls for it. Gentle, well-meaning pacifist Marko is the complete opposite and they balance each other out so well.

It's strange how easily Vaughan managed to juggle several subplots in just 160 pages. The story jumps from scene to scene, introducing new characters at every turn but somehow dealing each one out with enough impact to ensure you don't forget who they are when you're redirected to the next exciting subplot. I, for one, am very excited to see what volume two will bring and I may have to check out some of Vaughan's other series in the meantime or I risk going crazy waiting for more.

p.s. Isn't this one of the most disturbing things ever? 'Cause I think so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saga, Vol. 1.

May 8, 2013 – Shelved
May 14, 2013 – Started Reading
May 14, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Tatiana I was about to rec it to you. You'll enjoy it:)

Emily May I added it because I saw your rating :) I'm so pleased you're reading graphic novels, I really like them but there's a lot of bad to weed through too so I need the recs :)

Tatiana Oh, I know what you mean. I will now just follow Flannery's lead. She's been into them lately:)

Ronyell I can't wait to hear your opinion on this book! It was fantastic!

message 5: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Disturbing? That is the sexiest image I've ever seen.

Emily May LOL. Each to their own... :D

Navessa Emily? I hate you a little for sharing those pictures *shudder*

Emily May Haha, I know, it took me a while to recover :)

Ally Can't wait to get started on these too :)

Ronyell Awesome review Emily! I really loved this graphic novel too and I can't wait for volume 2!

message 11: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia I finally got around to this one and was not disappointed! I just bought the second volume on my iPad. The art is amazing!

message 12: by Budd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Budd volume 3 shipped yesterday.

Lisanne Elisabeth Totally agree with your review. Again haha

TheWellReadLady Just finished volume one and loved it! Incredible artwork and storyline.

Spider the Doof Warrior Yes. OMG. They have BIG GIANT HEADS ON LEGS! WTF IS UP WITH THAT?! Big giant smiling legs! And they're prostitutes but not any I'd want to visit!

Spider the Doof Warrior And where would you even PUT anything?! they are just HEADS ON LEGS!

Carmen Great review.

message 18: by Candi (new)

Candi Stevens You liked this series! So do you recommend any other series to me to try?

Emily May Candi wrote: "You liked this series! So do you recommend any other series to me to try?"

I also really love Rat Queens :)