Maggie's Reviews > The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World

The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs

Jun 24, 2009

bookshelves: finished-reading-challenges, july-09

A few things about this book:

Informative: Yes, some facts that are interesting but you don't really need.
Funny: Heck yeah, it made me laugh out loud many times.
Annoying: Yes, the way he kept stating all those facts around random people. I bet to them he was very annoying.
Boring: Yes. I lost interest a little bit after M, but slowly gained it back.
Daring: Heck yes, I know I would never be able to read the entire Encyclopaedi Brittanica--I would fall asleep.

I picked up this book for a reading challenge, because the author's last name started with a "J". To me, reading this book was awful yet enjoyable. To me, I hate if I spend more than a couple days on a book--it proves that the author really doesn't draw me. But I continued, because I hate abandoning a book.

Jacobs funny insights into different topics were the only thing that kept me going. He is sarcastic, funny, and very opinionated. That much I really enjoyed. To me, this book was a mini version of the books Jacobs was trying to finish.

To me, sometimes I felt like he was bragging way too much. But I did enjoy reading about his journey: meeting Alex Trebek, going to Britannica's headquarters, and even gaining a spot on Who Wants to be a Millionare?

In hindsight, I loved the book. And hated it. It bored me. And made me laugh. A love-hate relationship, if you will.

Rating:

85/100

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Know-It-All.

June 24, 2009 – Shelved
July 6, 2009 –
page 21
July 6, 2009 –
page 39
10.03% "haha, really funny!"
July 8, 2009 –
page 82
July 11, 2009 –
page 121
31.11% "okay, well, its actually getting boring. its just about facts now, and frankly, it can put me to sleep..."
July 12, 2009 –
page 156
40.1% "Now I'm getting back into it..its like a yo-yo..parts are boring, parts are funny, parts are slow, parts are fast"
July 12, 2009 –
page 192
49.36% "yeah! Reached the Ms--the middle of the alphabet! halfway there! :)"
July 13, 2009 –
page 268
68.89% "almost there! I can see the light!"
Started Reading
July 14, 2009 –
page 369
94.86% "YES! After a week of forging through this, I am DONE!! I'll write my review later..but I am DONE!"
July 14, 2009 – Shelved as: finished-reading-challenges