Tanaya's Reviews > The Yearning

The Yearning by Kate Belle

I cannot believe that this book has not had more attention!!

I found it hidden amongst the bottom shelves of my book store, completely in the wrong section mind you. But I couldn't go home without that stunning cover on my shelf so I just had to give it a go.

I went into it a bit skeptical, my last few experiences with books which centered upon student/teacher relationships left me more than a little disatisfied. But The Yearning pulled me out of my skepticism! The plot in itself presents itself in an atypical way.

Set in the seventies, the desired teacher is hip, worldly and completely copasetic! Solomon Andrews is everything that the girls in his class desire and admire. He is charming and unconventional and soon has his students wrapped around his fingers - including his sixteen year old next door neighbour.

As you continue with the story, you become fascinated by the young girls obsession with her teacher and by Solomon's seeming enjoyment that comes from knowing his young neighbor is spying on him. It sees this obsession turn into a spying game, and the young sixteen year old girl is sucked into his world quite literally from watching Solomon (view spoiler)

Each of the characters are so real and vivid that I could almost pull them from the pages themselves and have them stand in the middle of my room staring back at me. You not only experience and understand the affair from both sides, but you also see how this affects the rest of Eve's life. How one short lived affair had her in a constant yearning for more, leaving her completely disastisfied with the world around her.

IT IS NOT EROTICA. If you are looking for a novel full of plotless grunts and moans this is not it!! It is so much more than that. It is a coming of age story, it is about an obsessive love which is lost but never forgotten. It is about the hardships of marriage and about figuring out what love really means at its core.

I read this book in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down. It is such a heartbreaker. I often found myself wanting to reach out and help her because her life was anything but fulfilling. But the plots were so real, and the problems she encounters in her future relationship is so tangible and common that you find your heart just aching for her.

Please, please, please read this book. I promise you, you won't regret it. I cannot wait to read more from this author!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yearning.

May 7, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 8, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jenn J McLeod Love this review. I felt the same way about this book.