Karen's Reviews > The End of Normal

The End of Normal by Stephanie Madoff Mack

bookshelves: made-me-cry

** spoiler alert ** Written by Mark Madoff (son of Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff)'s widow. Tells their story from her point of view from when they were dating, while they were married and what happened after Bernie's scheme came to light. Felt like I got to know each of them a little bit & what they went through as far as their lives pre- & post- scandal. She conveys both their feelings well. Some reviews criticize her for her writings on being a 2nd wife, stepMo, daughter-in-law but I found her writings on these topics more sincere & therefore believable bc she doesn't portray herself as doing everything right or not having resentful feelings. I would have liked some more info on how they survived financially when their assets were frozen & Mark wasn't working. It also seemed strange that given Mark's bx & his feelings that Mark wasn't in intensive therapy. She writes about Mark being ill-prepared to handle a life outside of privilege but I think to some extent she too was unprepared to handle it as well -- how would you never discuss your spouse's overdose w/ him? or be concerned that he might try suicide again? I doubt she ever contemplated that the life they created together & the future she foresaw for them when they got married & in their pre-scandal days of marriage would ever change so drastically.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Normal.

Started Reading
May 7, 2013 – Shelved
May 7, 2013 – Shelved as: made-me-cry
May 7, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Alex I agree, she didn't explain as much about the fall out when Bernie was imprisoned about how they got by. Based on the title alone I thought there would be more about the end of their normal lives. She did talk about her strained relationships with the rest of the Madoff clan but I was hungry to know what her day-to-day life looked like, how their interactions were with lawyers, etc.