Kathryn's Reviews > Millions of Cats

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-picture-books

Oh, dear... I thought I was going to absolutely adore this story based on the charming illustrations and the idea of a man who sets out to bring home a kitty for his wife, only to find that every cat he sees is just too cute to pass up so he brings home "millions of cats." However...

SPOILER

I thought the end was quite dreadful! Yes, even if this is a tale of the evils of vanity, it was a bit too much for all (but one) of the cats to eat one another up because each wanted to be the most beautiful and therefore the one chosen to be kept by the farmer's wife since she deemed only one could live with them. Eeek! :-/ I'm too much a cat lover to approve--no matter how adorable the sketches of the remaining kitten might be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Millions of Cats.

Started Reading
June 24, 2009 – Shelved
June 24, 2009 – Shelved as: childrens-picture-books
June 24, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Manybooks That sounds morbid, more akin to some of the more gruesome fairy tales.

message 2: by Ronyell (last edited Apr 24, 2010 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ronyell Hmm...that sounds pretty gruesome for a children's book, just like what happened at the end of The Spider and the Fly.

Lisa Vegan You know, I usually hate these kinds of books and I thought I'd hate this one, but I just read it (about to post an already written review) and I liked it, and wasn't too, too bothered by the gruesomeness.

Kathryn I'm glad you enjoyed it! Seems like many people did, based on the discussion over on children's books. Maybe I was just expecting something different...

Kathryn Well, that is true, haha! I honestly had NO idea what the book was about when I picked it up, just thought the illustrations looked wonderful and saw it was an award-winner about cats. The illustrations and whole presentation is just so gosh darn CUTE that I guess I felt the story was going in one direction and was then pretty shocked by the ending!

Lisa Vegan Well, I'd already read many comments so I was already expecting horrible things. Maybe that helped. Also, I just didn't take it too literally. If I had, I'm sure I'd have hated it.

message 7: by ABC (new) - rated it 4 stars

ABC I was reading this sweet book and then. OMG WHAT WERE THEY THINKING BACK THEN? Lol.

Kathryn Kirei wrote: "I was reading this sweet book and then. OMG WHAT WERE THEY THINKING BACK THEN? Lol."

Haha! Yeah, I know, the ending was quite the unpleasant surprise.

Manybooks Kathryn wrote: "Kirei wrote: "I was reading this sweet book and then. OMG WHAT WERE THEY THINKING BACK THEN? Lol."

Haha! Yeah, I know, the ending was quite the unpleasant surprise."

message 10: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 18, 2011 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathryn Gundula wrote: "I also think that there should have been more responsibility shown by the old couple (not very responsible pet owners, in my opinion)."

ye-ah, for sure :-(

message 11: by Mir (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mir I thought the moral about vanity was a bit of cop-out -- if this situation really happened, the cats would be eating each from starvation.

message 12: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Starvation might be too grim for a kid's book though.

message 13: by Mir (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mir And millions of dead cats isn't?

message 14: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Strange book.